1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apply for asap position - Catholic schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by waterlillies, Sep 15, 2017.

1. waterlillies

waterlillies New commenter

Hi, I have just finished my NQT year and registered with a few supply agencies now but no work yet as it is early. I passed my NQT but the school I was at was so challenging that I decided not to continue there.

There are two catholic schools just advertised their posts for asap (core subject) and I'm thinking of applying but I'm atheist so I can't see much chances. I have no idea about these two schools and also no experience of teaching in a faith school. I'm in a bit of dilemma.. but I feel like I need a proper job now! (I do have another freelance job to secure income while waiting for more jobs out).

Anyone with an advice about applying in catholic school for non-catholic please?

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

I would not recommend working in a Catholic school.
    The governors are your employers and you may find yourself without much protection.
    Find a job in a community school.

3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

I did my PGCE second placement at a Catholic secondary school. Only the head, deputy head(s) and RE teachers are required to be Catholic although schools can positively discriminate in recruiting practicing Catholics. As a teacher you are expected to adhere to Catholic values irrespective of your own beliefs and that includes leading daily prayer at tutor time. However Catholic schools can (and do) employ non Catholics.

Wasn't for me although that was more to do with the school itself. I did a week's placement at a catholic feeder primary school (no classroom prayers) and it was lovely

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. waterlillies

Thank you very much for replying! I'm trying to read more about these two schools but I really can't imagine how it is working in a Catholic school. Maybe I just need to be more patient waiting for more jobs out.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Schools differ in the level of religion/prayers/worship they expect teachers to be involved in. In general, though, there will be a common sense of belief in something you believe does not exist, which could make working there uncomfortable for you.

Sort of like, at Christmas time, when around young children, there is a general sense of believing in Father Christmas. You don't have to initiate conversation about 'him', but if a child begins to talk to you about him, social convention would expect you to play along, at least to the point of not casting any doubt on his existence. Most of us manage that, despite our own personal beliefs, although some may find it more difficult than others.

In a Catholic school, talk about God isn't limited to a couple of months a year, and the belief in God isn't a small part of childhood that they'll grow out of soon enough. Some atheists would feel uncomfortable in that environment, where they are playing a role in supporting (what they believe is) a lie. Others, if they are perhaps not so strong disbelievers, might not find it as difficult.

6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

Fundamentally, if your core values are incongruent with the school's then it may be better to wait. Ask yourself if you would be comfortable with the above situations as described by other posters? Can you be sympathetic to the ethos?

You could apply anyway - you get to practise the forms or even an interview. It's a process for both the school and you to find out whether it will work out by being there. If not, you will have gained valuable experience to inform your future choices.

7. happypug

happypug New commenter

I'm not at all religious and have worked in several Catholic schools and absolutely LOVED it! I think the amount of Catholic staff is generally just over half anyway.

Don't be put off because you "can't imagine what it's like" working in one. It's not as in your face as you'd think. Of course, you have to support the ethos and the religious views, such as leading prayer/joining in (this is not difficult and the school's chaplaincy team provide guidance), but it's only really been obvious to me during prayer and at special times of the year like Christmas/Easter celebrations.

The key thing is I found that I had a lot of the same personal values anyway... have a look at their values, you might find the same.

If you find you want to work there, be honest. They won't expect you to pretend to be Catholic, they just want to know you will support their ethos and not actively go against it, and this WILL be something you will be asked at interview... How can you support/contribute to the Catholic ethos?

PM me if you have any questions.:)

waterlillies and JohnJCazorla like this.
  8. waterlillies

Thank you so much for all the replies, sorry I didn't come to say thank you earlier - I didn't apply at the end as I was quite busy with supply but more jobs in comprehensive schools are out now so I will be applying.