1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applied ICT Unit 7 6957 June 2014

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chrishammond38, Mar 13, 2014.

1. From Edexcel:

Performance roles are a subset of the production jobs; production jobs would consist of: lighting, directing, acting, set design and so on which are the roles you are being asked to assign students to in Task 2. In Task 3 it is asking you to produce a report of the characters which haven't had an actor assigned to them.

You could do a performance with just actors but you couldn't have a production without all the other jobs roles filled.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Kind Regards

Definately helpful!

2. Does this mean that there will be link from the ACTORS field in the Jobs Table to a Performance Table and that this will be linked to the Production Table and the rest of the Jobs will be linked to the Production Table also. This is so confusing this year

3. Mantiega2

Mantiega2 New commenter

I agree with others about the 4 table solution. I don't think edexcel's response is particularly helpful. Really struggling with a way to complete task 2, especially using only one form.

4. I've found a way to complete task 2 with one form. If you create a combo box based upon a query which finds all the roles matching the criteria displayed on your form (the query criteria is set to the fields on your form - gender and jobtype) . The example I have made works on the assumption that the student details will be taken from the add new student form (I have bound my assignment form to that query).

Then I have displayed the information about the job in text boxes which populate when a value is selected from the combo box by adding the code into the on change event to populate each from the corresponding column on the combo.

I have used an if statement in the 'on change' event which determines which fields will be hidden (based on whether actor is selected)

Then added another field which uses dcount to find out how many actors have been assigned to the role selected.

The rest is done with append queries and an update query (for number assigned) - all run with a macro.

This is working on the assumption that most of us seem to be making for now - that there will be four tables - jobs, students, productions and assignments. Would be interested in hearing other ways people have found.

5. rogc

rogc New commenter

I agree, a CastingID as primary key should allow all castings to be set up before being allocated to students then we may or may not need a dummy studentID.

6. Agree with this - Each student allocated to one job

Maybe Student ----- Job-----JobProduction ------Production ----- Characters (assuming Winged Monkeys etc do not appear in other productions)

Student(STUDENTID .... JobId*)

Job(JOBID Description QtyNeeded ...)

JobProduction (JOBID*, PRODUCTIONID* ...)

Characters (CHARACTERID, ProductionId*..)

Wondering about 'only a suitable student assigned to that job' might they match characteristics such as min/max height or just match according to the students preferred choice?

7. Where are you putting characters? I agree with Neil-Bolton - having linked characters to tblProduction

8. I think tblCharacter is needed - we have to select a character and display details

9. I agree Denise. Have set up dummy db without character table. Works but is confusing. Am floundering here since have too many options in absence of data. Am finding this most difficult of all unit 7 scenarios since 2007!

10. cvevans

cvevans New commenter

Are people planning on seperating out characters and other production jobs ie sound crew into 2 separate tables or just keeping them as one?

11. jambocraig

jambocraig New commenter

CVevans:

tblCharacter will contain RoleName (e.g. Dorothy, Toto, Winged Monkey 1)

tblJob will contain JobType (e.g. Actor, Lighting, Director etc)

Currently creating a dataset and devising the second form. First form is a baisc unbound registration form with an APPEND query. I note that there are no clues regarding the UserName gerenation - does that mean it is a simple number (e.g. DMAX +1)? I will prepare my students for a more complex UserName (characters from first and last name, concatenated with a DMAX + 1) just in case.

12. from the case study the user name seems just to be a MAX +1 with numbers which is not too difficult, neither is the other details to include parts of the name. This can be done easily through the expression builder with Left Right functions as required

13. jambocraig

jambocraig New commenter

Neil - agreed, regarding UserName. I was really just saying that I will make sure my students are well versed in

=Left([FirstName],2) & Left([LastName],2) & DMax("Right([tblMembers]![UserName],4)","[tblMembers]")+1

as well as the simpler

=DMax("[PaymentID]","[tblPayment]")+1

I do think that it will be the latter.

14. Think that this about my 10th version of the solution using all the information that has been provided. I have to agree with the fact that this seems to be the most difficult that they have produced but the wording does not help either in the case study. I am going to try and prep for the following with 5 tables (Student / Job / Production Job / Production / Characters)

Student - Job (1 to 1) with student ID as link key in both

Job - Production Job (1 to M)

Production - Production Job (1 to M)

Production - Characters (1 to M) No link to Student ID in this case as this is where I came across issues in the previous attempts because there has to be some of this data blank so that student can then be assigned to it.

I have not set this up yet so comments welcome as to the idea, thanks

15. Charlie W

Charlie W New commenter

Still think it's 4 tables, with the actors/other jobs all in the same table.

Having thought more about issue of the blank studentIDs in the cast list, I don't think they will do it like this. It's not like the Deer Valley Railway system as there is no actual need to put students in a cast list until they have a role.

Also the way they have worded the registration form task makes no mention of having to set up new records in the cast list table when you register a new student. In previous scenarios they would tell you to "update any other records as necessary".

regards,

Charlie

16. stevieash64

stevieash64 New commenter

I agree Charlie, I can see both Acting and Production roles being in the same table with M/F/NA as requirement to be used ibn a suitability query.

17. Thanks for that. I have seen the problem with the 5 tables and the link to the Job. Do you think that it will be STUDENT / JOB / JOB ROLE / CHARACTERS?

18. Charlie W

Charlie W New commenter

Need a production table (as task 2 states that the user will select the production).

I;m going with STUDENTS, PRODUCTIONS, PRODUCTION JOBS and CAST LIST

19. Yes this seems to be the way forward. Presume that 3 tables link with CAST LIST one to many

20. Llamafarmingguru

Llamafarmingguru New commenter

I have the 4 table approach as well (Students, Jobs, Production with a central table bringing them together) which seems to fulfil most of the requirements. This does not make it particularly airtight as for as selecting job types based on whether they are an actor or in production but as they are only required to make a prototype then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This should then reflect on the second activity when assigning roles. I haven't got round to creating that yet though