1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applied ICT Unit 3 6953 2016

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by toki112001, Apr 29, 2016.

1. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Starting this thread to see everyone's initial thoughts on the case study ???
    Looks pretty vague to me. with not too much information on the scenario to help fill the sheet out.

2. jambocraig

jambocraig New commenter

It wont let me download it! I am able to download the unit 7 material... Has anyone else encountered this??

3. jambocraig

jambocraig New commenter

I managed to get it from the main page (rather than the page that lists all downloads)... Looks like fun :)

4. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

5. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

I am currently confused with the columns
    -Depth in
    - Depth Out
    - Clearance In
    - Clearance Out
    on the Selection sheet. Anyone have a clue where we are meant to get these. There seems to be a conditional format on them at the moment; with cell changing to Red; if cell is N.

Any ideas anyone

6. SChell

SChell New commenter

I am thinking Depth in is the height of the water as the boat enters the attraction area
    Depth out is the height of the water as the boat leaves the attraction area
    Clearance in is the difference between the height of the water and the minimum required by the boat as the boat goes into the area
    Clearance out is the difference between the height of the water and the minimum required by the boat as the boat goes out of the area

Probably complete rubbish but that's what I have come up with so far

Any one else have any thoughts?

staxis likes this.
  7. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Some interesting ideas?

What is everyone elses is thought?

It seems the scenario is giving very little away this year.

8. premalaljay

premalaljay New commenter

I think you have to include Bridge of Sighs in the Sights WS since it is on the way to Upton Manor.

9. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Yes ; in the clearance in and clearance out you need to make sure that tide is between 2.5 and 6 as you will pass between bridge of sighs otherwise ship will hit top of bridge

10. Llamafarmingguru

Llamafarmingguru New commenter

the data tab does seem to be confusing. I am still unsure what before in, before out, after in, after out actually means as they seem to all be identical when I set the order of sights in a particular way. When I set the itinerary as bird sanctuary, seal flats, fingals cave, upton manor, Matildas secret, Wilson falls for 12:00 on the 4/7 the tide columns are completely identical all the way down. I agree with SCell but it is confusing as to how to come up with specific tidal figures.

11. Llamafarmingguru

Llamafarmingguru New commenter

Does anyone else have any problems with the formulas updating? When I went into the ratio to check the formula, I pressed enter and the figure changed. This also happened with all the other numbers with lots of decimal places.

12. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Hello;

I think its just one of the many flaws/limitations we are expected to recognise within the model; and will be part of evaluation section. The truckles from last year had few similar issues and inconsistencies

13. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Basically; I believe Before in and After In are when the measurements of the tides were taken; because if you look closely the tide measurements dont change . This is why they use the Ratio to work out an estimate of tide height instead of getting exact measurements of tide at 12:18, they will use 11:42 and then use Ratio.

14. premalaljay

After importing the data into July Tides, what would be the next logical step?

15. toki112001

toki112001 New commenter

Fill sheet 1

16. SChell

SChell New commenter

Go to the Selection Sheet
    Select a date and time using the drop down boxes
    Select the order of the attractions A14 to A19 using the drop down boxes
    Add a countif to the Visits column to count the number of times an attraction has been visited (A14 to A19) will go red if more than once
    Add a VLOOKUP to Tide Start to get the height of the water as the attraction area is entered (could link to the data sheet if you don't want to use the VLOOKUP)
    Add a VLOOKUP to Tide End to gt the height of th water as the attraction area is left
    If statement to Depth In to check if the height of the water meets the restrictions set for the attraction
    If statement to Depth Out - as above but at the end of the visit
    If statement to Clearance In to check if the spire is visible or the boat can get under the bridge on the way in
    If statement to Clearance out - same as above but at the end of the visit

Hope this helps

Kmorgo, stevieash64 and gapaac like this.
  17. gapaac

gapaac New commenter

Hi
    Thanks SChell. I used INDEX with MATCH to get the tide start and tide end as the order of attractions may not be sorted necessarily in alphabetic order. I still am not sure what clearance in and clearance out is asking exactly. Any ideas on what we are checking specifically? The same formula has to apply for all attractions not only Matilda's secret.
    I am just wondering too, why the speed of the boat is given in the scenario, 8 knots and 15 knots. This must serve a purpose, perhaps in the Base Times sheet? Any ideas ?
    There is a hidden sheet October Tides. Any ideas why it's there or what it can serve?

18. SChell

SChell New commenter

Morning
    I used INDEX with MATCH to get the tide start and tide end as the order of attractions may not be sorted necessarily in alphabetic order.
    I agree about using INDEX with MATCH (I haven't used this before but am going to look at using it) because although the VLOOKUP works, the Look up table isn't ordered or index so shouldn't work.

I still am not sure what clearance in and clearance out is asking exactly.The same formula has to apply for all attractions not only Matilda's secret.
    Three attractions need clearance:
    Matilda's secret: <= 4m
    Upton Manor: you need to check that the boat can clear the bridge on the way there and back. >=2.5 AND <=6
    Fingal's cave: there must be between 2.5 and 6 m

but you are right there is no need for clearance for the other 4 but I can't think what else it could mean.

I am just wondering too, why the speed of the boat is given in the scenario, 8 knots and 15 knots. This must serve a purpose, perhaps in the Base Times sheet?

Look at Data sheet cell ref B14. I don't fully understand the formula fully yet but I think it is dealing with the 15 and 8 knots bit.(Bits in red). I have only looked at this, this morning. So any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

=C15+(INDEX('Base Times'!$A$11:$H$18,MATCH(A15,'Base Times'!$A$11:$H$11,0),MATCH(A16,'Base Times'!$A$11:$A$18,0))/15+IF(INDEX(Marina!$A$11:$H$18,MATCH(A15,Marina!$A$11:$H$11,0),MATCH(A16,Marina!$A$11:$A$18,0))="N",0,0.05))/24

There is a hidden sheet October Tides
    I am wondering about this too. Could the extension task be to see if the season could be extended to the first two weeks of October? Apparently October is one of our driest months and can be mild.
    Otherwise I have no idea.

19. stevieash64

stevieash64 New commenter

There is always a 'curve ball' in this exam, I can see it being the boat speed which will determine the times that the boat will reach each attraction. It is not uncommon for a second data set to be used on the day, it doen't look like you can do much with boat speed with the model as it stands.
    Thanks Schell for the above certainly looks along the right lines.

20. premalaljay

Thanks