1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applied ICT (OCR) GO42

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by anon4301, Sep 15, 2011.

1. After yet another "disappointing" set of results I have decided to rewrite my Unit 03 (GO42) scheme of work. My current scheme is based on investigating global record sales and the impact of downloads and piracy. It's okay, allowing students to produce good work for most tasks, but the relational database has proved difficult to match up with the main theme of the investigation.

Does anyone have a proven scheme of work that has yielded consistently high grades? I appreciate that this is a big ask. Thanks.

2. After yet another "disappointing" set of results I have decided to rewrite my Unit 03 (GO42) scheme of work. My current scheme is based on investigating global record sales and the impact of downloads and piracy. It's okay, allowing students to produce good work for most tasks, but the relational database has proved difficult to match up with the main theme of the investigation.

Does anyone have a proven scheme of work that has yielded consistently high grades? I appreciate that this is a big ask. Thanks.

3. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

I've taught this for a number of years now - never used a relational database though. A flat-file does te job nicely as all they have to do is interrogate it.

4. Visit my website for full resources for the course www.computechedu.co.uk

Regards chris

5. Chris

Thank you. Very kind.

6. Hi Latha here!
    To higher levels it is always good to start on Relational Databases. You can just start one with just 3 tables. For example, Video hire databse.
    Create a Customer table with customer details such as Customer ID, Name, Address, Phonenumber.

Create a Video Table with Video details such as VideoID, Title, Duration etc.

Create the third Table is the transaction table called Rental Table. The rental table will have the details such as
    Rental ID, Video ID, Customer ID, Date Hired, Due Date, Date Returned.

Now establish the relationship between three tables by clicking on the Relationship Icon. Set these 3 tables in this order. Customer table on the left, Video Table on the right and Rental Table in the middle.

Establish the relation between Customer ID of Customer Table and Customer ID of Rental Table by drag and drop method.
    Establish the relation between Video ID of Video Table and Video ID of Rental Table.

Save and start entering data.

Students will understand this very easily.

This way there will be no redundant data, ( Similar data entered several times.)

If you do this in flat file, just imagine every time some one hires a movie Their details have to be entered all the time. For example if a customer hires 10 videos at a time, you will have to enter his details 10 times in the case of flatfile database.

Let me know if this is helpful. Goodluck!

7. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I've got a reasonable SoW based around planning a GAP year to a destination of their choice. They produce a report for a company to help them market gap year opportunities to students more effectively. It needs some tweaking, but results have been fine on the whole for this unit. Despite students completing work to a similar standard for a few years, the moderator's interpretation of the mark scheme in relation to the work produced has been slightly varied, and as such, the SoW is tweaked every year. I'm having to make sure that the resources don't give students too much help.
    Database - it could be a ficticious company wanting to analyse the type of music downloaded from their web site based on the age and interests of customers. It does not have to be a database with mathematical relationships between tables (confirmed by last year's moderator). Just a single table will sufficice.

8. Thanks. I appreciate the time taken and the advice. Very helpful.