1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applied for Business Education PGCE - advice please!

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Hmmmmm, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I have applied to do a Business Education PGCE starting in September but I'm worried about finding a job teaching this subject after! There's so much education reform coming up it's scary! What are your experiences and what are the pro's and con's of your job?
    My other option is to apply to teach primary in 2012 (which I imagine is equally hard to find a job doing after!)
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone
    I have applied to do a Business Education PGCE starting in September but I'm worried about finding a job teaching this subject after! There's so much education reform coming up it's scary! What are your experiences and what are the pro's and con's of your job?
    My other option is to apply to teach primary in 2012 (which I imagine is equally hard to find a job doing after!)
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks

3. newyorkdoll

newyorkdoll New commenter

Hi...did my PGCE in Business in 2007, and was hard to get a job. Got mine through fluke really. However, after freaking out about the new reforms it now seems many schools will continue to teach business....so it's not disappearing. I guess I was just surprised at how hard it was to get a job I thought would be easy. I do live in an area where tons of people want to live though, esp. people leaving London too. Probably easier if you're Midlands or North...there are more jobs up there I think. Good luck with it. I think if I did it again, I'd probably opt for primary!! Never underestimate the stress of working in a secondary.

4. Hi,
    I did my PGCE in 2008/9 and I live in the East Midlands and found it equally as hard to get a job. We all thought London and the South had all the jobs! It was interesting reading the previous post who thought vice-versa! If you are mobile and willing to move then you should be ok but if you are tied to a region or city (as I was) it is always going to be more difficult. I taught for a year in FE first then managed to get a full time job in secondary last year.
    If you are passionate about business studies you should go for it - I have friends in primary and know it is equally tough - unless you are a male - in which case the door always seems open! Good Luck!

5. From what I've heard primary is probably harder to get a job - way over subscribed. :(

6. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Just be prepared to move anywhere in the country or world and you wont have a problem, make sure you cover anther subject during your placements ICT, Economics, Travel and Tourism can set you up for a good secondary/sixth form.

7. grholden

grholden New commenter

Just to reiterate what everyone else is saying - it WILL be tough to get a job, but if you can move for your job it'll make it a LOT easier for you :)