1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applied Business Studies - AQA or EdExcel?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by osullisi, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    The 6th form at my school is due to begin offering Applied Business Studies from September and I have been tasked with making the choice between AQA and Edexcel. Does anybody have information or opinions on the merits of each to help me with this decision?
    Thanks so much.

2. Hi
    The 6th form at my school is due to begin offering Applied Business Studies from September and I have been tasked with making the choice between AQA and Edexcel. Does anybody have information or opinions on the merits of each to help me with this decision?
    Thanks so much.

3. I've been using AQA for a couple of years - I am the only business teacher at our school. I cant vouch at all for edexcel. I have found AQA easy to deal with and moderation of portfolio units has been fine. The standardisation meetings are absolutely essential the first time through otherwise marking the portfolios is impossible. Their chief examiner has been happy to answer questions via email. Volume of marking for portfolio units is huge though. AQA have a decent exam results analysis section on their website so you can see which questions your students are scoring badly on.

I will stick with AQA now although I plan to swap a portfolio unit for an exam to reduce workload. I suppose AQA Business Studies could replace the Applied course in the long term depending on students ability coming through.

4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

AQA have decided to finish the Applied GCE so wouldn't spend too much time working on it!

5. This is correct.

Please note the following statement from AQA:

AQA GCE APPLIED BUSINESS

AQA is still committed to offering GCE Applied Business. It has not withdrawn this specification. However, as the accreditation for this qualification is due to end, AQA are seeking reaccreditation in line with the Ofqual Subject Criteria.

This criteria is available on
    http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/downloads/category/76-gce-applied-a-level-subject-criteria

AQA is, of course, interested in the views of teachers so that we can provide a qualification that you feel benefits your students. To this end, centres will receive a questionnaire and an overview of the proposed specification next week.

Regards
    Gill Clarke
    Senior Subject Manager, Business Subjects

6. http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/downloads/category/76-gce-applied-a-level-subject-criteria

7. Having looked at the ofqual criteria I'm now not expecting huge changes in the AQA specification.
    Will know more when a overview spec is out - sometime soon I understand.

Be nice if a few more people could reply to the original post asking for some comparison between AQA and Edexcel courses.

8. Thank you very much to you all for replying. I just saw the notification on the AQA website re changes and decided "right that's sorted Edexcel it is so" ! But now am back to the decision. My school currently provides Edexcel GCSE and has a good relationship with Edexcel which leans me towards them. However I wonder if the Edexcel assessment criteria are a bit less straightforward and students are required to be very skilled in the area of application. Any advice? Also .. with regard to finding work experience for students on Applied courses ... where to start?

9. It would seem that both the AQA and Edexcel Applied Business courses will remain available until 2013.
    Any recommendations for a suitable alternative?

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/app-gce/business/Pages/default.aspx
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/business/app_business_noticeboard.php