1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applications to teach

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Tonid2710, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Tonid2710

Tonid2710 New commenter

Hi all,
    I've posted this on another threads but hoping those currently raining may be able to shed a bit more lightS

New here and hoping you can offer me some advice. I'm hoping to start primary initial teacher training in September. I have secured in school experience in two schools but that isn't due to take place until next month and December. I'm also going to be doing two mornings a week at my sons school from after half term for the foreseeable future. My question is to do with the UCAS application. I note that apply 1 opens 27th Oct. I'm sure I've read that spaces are filled on a first come first served basis (subject to decent applications), so im wondering whether I should apply when it opens but don't yet have my experience, or wait until I have at least a week under my belt and apply at the end of November. Ideally I would like to do schools direct or a scitt course and know these are popular. I don't want to miss out but at the same time ding want to submit an application where I can't link what I've seen in schools. I currently work in law so am a career changer. Another few questions, is it possible to change your personal statement between apply 1 and 2, if I have minimal in school experience who should I use for a second reference after my employer, and finally, do primary school direct courses tend to completely fill in apply 1?

Thanks so much

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

This year, nobody knows how quickly (or not) places will fill, because of the staggeringly idiotic new system the government has introduced for allocating training places. All anyone can do is guess, but I would gamble on there still being places available in December, and wait to click the 'submit' button on your application until you've managed to get into schools.

3. Tonid2710

Tonid2710 New commenter

Thanks so much for your response. I've been looking into it further and think I will go along with your suggestion and leave it a little later use so I have to added experience.

4. Tonid2710

Tonid2710 New commenter

Just another question, after you had summbmitted your application, how long was it until you heard back from anyone?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

My only way of answering this is from the school's perspective. If we've got an application deadline and it's likely that we'll get a flood of good applicants, we'll wait till the deadline and then do some shortlisting - so it may well take a few days for shortlisted candidates to be invited for interview. In a shortage subject where we'll be competing with other schools in a small pool of possible candidates, we'll be looking at applications as they arrive, and we have occasionally invited candidates to interview before the deadline date, in the hope of getting the best one before anyone else.
    I still treasure a letter I got - handwritten - from one HT long ago. I'd applied and heard nothing for some long time - then the letter arrived apologising for not communicating, saying that he feared I might have the job I was looking for by now, but the appointment they'd made had fallen through, please would I come for interview if still available? That led to many years happy teaching in his school.

6. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Yes, I agree with Skeoch, that's how we play it too.

7. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I believe they have 40 days to reply from your submission date. Check on ucas and read through the information. It's all on there.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I've replied on the other thread.

PGCE is uncapped this year so the biggest and best providers will be filling up fast. Expect a reply in days and an interview in days if you apply to a quality provider.