1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applications that annoy the appointments committee . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes!
    Try reading the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread too for advice to follow.
    Both DOs and DON'Ts.
    Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, every week in print in the TES magazine, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations
    I am running the Win that Teaching Job seminar on Sat 8th Dec in London. CLICK

2. jessjaw

jessjaw New commenter

Dear Theo
    If there is a section in the application headed "Statement in support of the application", should I also send a detailed covering letter? If so, how should they differ?
    Thanks
    Jess

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Jess - I am not going to reply here as it's not a good idea to tag a new question on the end of an old thread - you should start a new thread.
    So I have!
    Best wishes

4. Yes, very mean. Let's hope you are refused a bargain some time, even if the offer is still valid, because you did not avail yourself of the offer earlier. Meany.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

?????

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, every week in print in the TES magazine, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

6. Would you think it reasonable for you to miss out on a bargain, even though the offer is still valid, because you didn't go for it earlier? Would you think it reasonable for the shopkeeper to have cleared the shelves of remaining stock while the offer was still in play? It sounds to me as though you are just plain mean-spirited.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about!
    When I told the poster above that she should have started a new thread with a new question, I then actually started one for her, so that everyone could see her question and my answer.
    I don't see what is meany or mean-spirited about that!
    Best wishes

8. Some schools seem to think you are lucky to be appointed when in fact they need to think they are lucky to have you. Here are reasons why I don't apply, reject job offers or answer truclulently at interview so as not to get the job but still be able to claim the expenses.

1. If managers keep referring to the 'successful candidate' this is usually a bad sign.
    2. I don't apply to schools who say 'if you don't hear by a certain date you are unsucessful'. It really isn't hard to send a polite rejection via email and doesn't cost anything - candidates may have spent 4 hours filling a form in. If they can't treat you politely at this stage imagine what working for them is like later. And if they say we can't afford the time or money to reply because there are so many applicants - that's usually because they can't write a decent advert of person specification in the first place.
    3. Read the Ofsted reports carefully - what does it say about the managers? Are they effective planners - these people write the timetable - do you really want to work for them?
    4. Do they pay travel expenses - if they don't what does this say about their finances - you might easily find yourself out of work for no fault of your own because their finances are in a mess.
    5. Be very wary of adverts saying the job would suit an NQT or an experienced teacher - how is that possible? Don't they know who they want or are they saying they are so desperate they will take anybody.
    6. Worry about a school who can't design an application form properly, for example making text boxes so small you can't fit the information in or in a way that when you type the whole document loses its formatting. How hard can this be - particularly if the school has an IT department.
    7. Ask them at interview if you will get your own room and work space - if you aren't then you will find doing the job very hard and are likely to struggle. Management who treat you like this wll also be the first to attack you at appraisal time. Make sure they offer you the tools to do the job.
    8. If you are offered an interview - ask if there is an internal candidate. Often schools just invite you along to make up numbers - so ask yourself do you want to waste a day and fall behind jst so a schol can say they met an LEA requirement for appointment protocol.
    9. Don't trust headteachers who continually say they put the students first - what they probably mean is they put their own careers first and are trying to flog you to death so they can get promoted and leave. You can't put students first without first making sure that teachers have the tools to do their job - and first among that is your mental and physical wellbeing.
    10. A good headteacher will be working hard to attract you to the school. And if they are concerned about you - then they will genuinely concerned about their students too.
    11. Just because there is a recession don't accept any job - if it goes badly you will have spent a lot of money relocating, and now your references may look bad and you may be trapped in an awful school - you have one life so treat yourself with some respect.
    12. A last thought - How many suppy teachers are in the staff room at lunchtime? This is usually a very bad sign indeed.

SUPER.SUPPLY likes this.
  9. Yes you are mean!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, that's me done for then. [​IMG]
    I'd better keep off this forum for a bit . . . [​IMG]
    If I'm a meany [​IMG]

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I shouldn't worry too much Theo - you know that the important majority value you and your input. [​IMG]
    Strange that angiemax waited nearly 3 years from joining and thought this was the best she could do for her maiden post [​IMG]

12. YES you are Chris - they may have only jsut seen it, are well prepared with their CV and content, and have sat up all night to get it in

13. You should always use a TTF (true type font) as what you intend with your spacing in other fonts may not come off their printer the same way otherwise

14. AND do not rely on Microsoft to do your spelling and grammar e.g. it will like "form", when you meant "from"

15. ... if you live in Lewisham or Chiswick, you might consider Luton a countryside setting :) personally I find some lovely open areas there and you can be within a mile of the airport in a lovely country pub...