1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applications that annoy the appointments committee . . .

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some applicants just don't give themselves a proper chance. They do daft things that just annoy the appointments committee.
    Some of the daft things that I have seen include:

• Documents sent without the name on each sheet. You need to have your name in the bottom margin in EVERY sheet. There was even one supporting statement without any name on it at all. Anywhere

• Documents sent in non-professional font (Comic sans), or in tiny font - one was 7.5

• An application letter sent in the body of the e-mail, instead of as an attached document. How messy does that look when printed out?

• No letter, nor a supporting statement, just an application form

• Career history given with years but no months. We need to know exactly when, to check there wasn't a nine-month prison sentence somewhere. Or actually gaps left unexplained in your chronology

• Daft e-mail addresses - who's going to want to employ someone who chooses to be known as BigBadBoy@hotmail.com or DizzyBlonde@yahoo.co.uk or 7pintsanight@aol.com

• Daft names given to the files you are sending us: My_Lucky_CV.doc . Or one with the wrong school in the filename: appl_for_Eton.doc. Give your documents a name that includes YOUR name: TheoGriff_CV.doc, TheoGriff_application.doc

• Not giving current Head as a referee. One applicant actually didn't give current Head, and has not put name of current school in the application - states just Primary School - presumably to prevent us contacting the Head

• The multi-coloured application, with a photo of daughter at Valentine's Day Ball (No, I couldn't see the relevance of it either), or logos of every place you had ever been associated with neatly pasted in at the appropriate point - your school, university, places of employment.
    Don't be daft - make sure that your application is perfectly professional!

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

I think we've had some of the same applicants, Theo! And I'd add, apart from the ones that send an application with the name of the wrong school, there are also the ones who get the name right but clearly haven't done any homework about that school (e.g. the applicant last year who said they wanted to work in Luton because of the small schools and the countryside setting. We have some primaries that are 5-form entry...)

3. Request for application pack on Thursday, application emailed Friday. Am I mean to put it straight on the discard pile? (Job has been advertised since July BTW)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

* sigh *
    Just be really professional in ALL your dealings with schools, folks.

5. Oh dear this has worried me - our LEA has a standard application form which has comic sans as the font and you can't change it as you type...the font is also very small...and because of our meeting commitments I only managed to see the school today and the deadline is Friday!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In that case, everyone will be in the same boat, so no problem!

7. Comic Sans?!!!! Oh no I always type in comic sans, maybe thats why I never get offered the posts! (do always get an interview though!) So, whats the best font? please don't say times new romannnnnn!!!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are getting interviews, your Comic Sans is not too big a disadvantage.
    But you must be applying for non-leadership Primary posts, in schools where they may sometimes use that themselves in the school literature.
    Generally, however, Comic Sans does not give a very grown-up or professional look to an application.
    Try Arial or Calibri if you cannot bring yourself to use TNR!

9. Yep, lots of primary schools use comic sans, which is why I had used it, but, yes coming to think of it none of the online application use that font most use TNR. I am applying for leadership posts, assistant head and deputy heads. I have decided to start reapplying again after a 2 year gap of giving up. Have just put in a application and used Time New Roman! Lets see if I get an interview!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope you used TNR and an exec summary . . .

11. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I've just been reading this out of curiosity and because I am baby sitting and can't settle to reading a book as the baby keeps waking up. To an outsider this nitty picky requirement for a particular font seems utterly ludicrous. Does choice of font indicate whether or not an applicant will turn out to be a good teacher? What on earth is the world coming to? I wonder how we ever managed to get degrees and to teach when we used nothing but our voices and our own hand writing to convey meaning.

12. If I may attempt a defence...
    In the modern world, use of a word processor and other IT skills is part of the expected toolbox of skills required for any professional. We are no longer automatically impressed by any old PowerPoint, no matter how badly constructed and childish. Emails arriving in our inbox are no longer an exotic and occasional occurance to be greeted with joy and curiousity, no matter how badly written. Posters with awful fonts, irritating special effects and anacronistic clipart do not get points for trying, they just look rubbish.
    Chosing a sensible font and font size are equivalent to chosing a good quality pen and paper, and using legible handwriting. One wouldn't send an application letter written in purple glitter gel pen on a lined page torn from an exercise book.
    And one shouldn't send formal documents in a font designed to mimic the script style used in the speech bubbles in an issue of Spider-man.

13. I logged into the topic expecting the odd chuckle or at least a smile. Alas, I am left pondering on just what our teaching professionals have become; are they all a bunch of anal, pedantic, winging, grumpy old farts, and a tad clueless at that - wrong font indeed! ROFL now that is funny, laughing right at you.
    Come on, you've got to give us something better than this!

14. No, because they may have been abroad for the summer, or may have just decided to apply for a job or return to teaching. There may be many good reasons and you could lose out on a good candidate. If it's in by the closing date, then you should consider it. I feel strongly about this as I have had to move frequently with my husband's job, often at short notice, and have sometimes only seen an advert just before the closing date. Don't judge too soon!

15. As an experienced teacher who has over 35 years in the profession I have applied to many positions. It has always been necessary to fill in an application form in black ink, use a font and script that a potential employer can read and to be very professional. That means no shortcuts, plan well ahead, do a draft. Photocopy the form and write out a copy by hand. It is important to have no spelling or grammatical mistakes. Then you can type it out.
    For your CV it is good to have a full one and an abridged one. It is necessary to fill out an application form for every post in the UK. If you apply abroad you need a professional photograph too. As for referees you must include your last headteacher. If however that is not always possible you must explain why. My last headteacher hardly spoke English but I would still include her, plus previous referees from UK.
    Sorry but in order to find a post in the teaching profession today you have to have an exemplary application. This helps you obtain an interview.

16. I cannot see the problem as long as the font is easy to read . However I would suggest that one carries out a spellcheck before one sends anything. This could prevent a nasty occurrence.

17. I totally agree re the choice of font. Comic Sans is... guess what... a font for comics! It's suitable for use in speech bubbles and little else. It isn't even a very legible font - please choose something grown up and simple - Arial, Helvetic, TNR, Geneva. A person who applies for a job in Comic Sans exposes a gap in their understanding of typed communication (on screen or on paper). Like it or not, communication using fonts is part of what a teacher does these days - so try to show some understanding of the appropriate uses of different fonts - it might be what does or doesn't distinguish you from a crowded field of applicants.

18. Whilst I have some sympathy with the poster, but this reinforces the concerns of those who would like children to be taught by more worldly-wise human beings with a sense of humour, rather than those who can type with the "right" font. Hope you're not missing those with ability, imagination or flair just because they struggle to meet your "standards".

19. Yes! They were up all night working on it as they really want to work at you amazing school!

20. or those teachers with learning difficulties like dyslexia. I recentrly had to read through 30 applications and being dyslexic found it very hard to read the prefectly formed Times New Roman. As long as the contents is acceptable for the post who gives a damn how is written, we will be banning hand writting next because we cannot read it.