1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applications - just getting a look in

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katerina_78, Mar 20, 2012.

1. katerina_78

katerina_78 New commenter

Hi,
    I've recently started applying for jobs in London and the whole process is so hard and rather demoralising! I feel like I will never get a job!
    The first one I applied for, never got back to an enquiry e mail, never acknowledged my application then re-advertised about 3 weeks later! I called, left message as no answer and not heard a thing since. Something felt wrong so haven't re-applied.
    Next one said if you don't hear within 7 days you've been un-successful, I now have about 1.5 days left and heard nothing.
    Sent another one of this morning after spending about 4 hours plus completing all the forms and just don't know what to think.
    I just feel that it's so hard to sell myself of paper to even get a look in, I know that I am capable of the jobs but I just don't know how to 'get in there'. I've tried to make the opening and ending of the personal statement as intriguing as possible, but I still don't know if this is right!
    Is it ok to contact a school if you don't get shortlisted? Just to ask for feedback about my application and get advice? I just feel like I'm in the dark and am sending these things out and not having any idea about what is right or wrong!
    I'm re-locating to London from a rural area so don't know if they are judging me on that too...it's all too much!! Help!

2. katerina_78

Hi,
    I've recently started applying for jobs in London and the whole process is so hard and rather demoralising! I feel like I will never get a job!
    The first one I applied for, never got back to an enquiry e mail, never acknowledged my application then re-advertised about 3 weeks later! I called, left message as no answer and not heard a thing since. Something felt wrong so haven't re-applied.
    Next one said if you don't hear within 7 days you've been un-successful, I now have about 1.5 days left and heard nothing.
    Sent another one of this morning after spending about 4 hours plus completing all the forms and just don't know what to think.
    I just feel that it's so hard to sell myself of paper to even get a look in, I know that I am capable of the jobs but I just don't know how to 'get in there'. I've tried to make the opening and ending of the personal statement as intriguing as possible, but I still don't know if this is right!
    Is it ok to contact a school if you don't get shortlisted? Just to ask for feedback about my application and get advice? I just feel like I'm in the dark and am sending these things out and not having any idea about what is right or wrong!
    I'm re-locating to London from a rural area so don't know if they are judging me on that too...it's all too much!! Help!

3. Hiya,
    Before anything else.. I would ask if you have read all the application advice on the threads at the top of the page? Theo has put a range of clickables together regarding applications, interviews etc.
    Secondly I'm afraid what your experiencing is pretty normal! You just have to keep applying (once you've read the advice and made the changes to your apps!) and hopefully there will be a school where you fit.
    Have you got any previous headteachers that you can show your applications to/get advice?
    Is your area in London a wide search? Might be worth looking in all areas if not.. also are you applying to state AND independent? This might also be worth considering...

Good luck xx

Have a look through the top of the page and good luck!

4. katerina_78

Thanks for the reassurance! I've read tha advice and been on a TES weekend workshop! As long as it's normal then that makes me feel a bit better!
    My search has to be narrow - I've put 5 miles from postcode and 20 miles - but that can be way to far. Distance in London is a funny thing! Everywhere is far away and hard to get to!
    I've put state and independent...so will just keep my fingers crossed!
    Any more advice is welcome!

5. I have applied for 7 jobs so far, and haven't been shortlisted for any of them, despite following all the advice on here.

It is totally demoralising, on a bad day I doubt I will ever get a full time permanent job and will be stuck doing supply for the rest of my working life (if I am lucky). I have even seriously considered what else I could do, but nothing I can think of pays as well as supply, and as difficult as it is, I am getting plenty of work.

Age is not on my side either, and I keep thinking if I don't get a foot back in before I am 45, I might as well not bother.

How many rejections are normal before you make the shortlist, or get an interview?

6. Are you an NQT?
    I'm in the same position as yourself... application after application and never hear anything. I've yet to be shortlisted and with every application you're thinking "what am I doing wrong?!"
    It's been almost a year since I qualified & I'm beginning to worry about references & being out of school environment for so long.
    In terms of contacting schools for feedback, I did receive one reply from a school informing me I hadn't been shortlisted..I emailed back asking for feedback, but never heard anything. Think schools are too busy to give feedback in those cases :(

7. katerina_78

Hi,

I'm not an NQT. I have 6 years experience in a very good school and have done many different things in my time there and (I believe) have a lot to offer.
    I reckon I'm too expensive now!! There's no winning this game!
    Thanks for all your support, it's good to know I'm not the only one!!

8. Good luck! And keep us updated :)

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Though there<u> are</u> people on here who <u>have</u> been awarded posts who are mature and expensive, for schools strapped for cash someone on M3/4 is cheaper but also quite experienced. So NQTTs lose as they need support and us maturer teachers also lose out often.
    You are most definitely not!
    <h1>
    </h1>

10. I have 4 years under my belt and also worry about becoming too expensive.. to the point where I look out for the adds that say no NQTs!
    I know for sure of an Indy school in SW London thatll have 3 or 4 vacancies coming up for sept..keep your eyes peeled and good luck! x