1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applications for international schools not going well - any advice?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by katherinium, Nov 21, 2011.

1. I have an 120 hour TEFL qualification already on my CV, would a CELTA be more beneficial?

Thanks everyone for your advice. Do job fairs come up on the tes website or is there somewhere else to look? I'll apply for pretty much everything then and keep my fingers crossed.

When it comes to seeking professional advice about letters of application, who would I contact? Any recommendations?

Thanks again.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

This summer in search of new opportunities I have probably put myself forward for 60 jobs, via agents, responding to TES advertisements and simply through contacting schools directly. Very few of those email bring a response and altogether they lead to 3 interviews and two job offers. I'm quite experienced, though my CV is full of short term contracts that a Head may question.
    My point is, you are not alone and the competition is strong, but in my experience what is important is seeking to keep yourself in employment, even with short term contracts, and trying not to allow non-working gaps to be too long. Easier said than done of course. What you no-doubt find frustrating is that 'out of work' teachers are competing with those in perfectly good jobs simply looking for their first opportunities abroad. It sort of seems unfair that they are applying from a position of strength with stronger more stable CV's whereas we are scrambling for survival. The way I have countered that is to target immediate vacancies which employed teachers cannot compete with. It isn't ideal, but often something short term does lead to a longer term engagement as i'm sure you are hoping in Bangkok. Good luck.

3. Yes, it's true. Part of me wishes I'd not come home from travelling so soon, as I was hoping to do supply work to keep me busy until January but was told that by the time my CRB check came through, it would be nearly Christmas anyway (and as many people have written on here, supply work is difficult to get anyway). So with all my qualifications and experience, I had to take a temp job working in a shop for just over 6 pounds an hour, whilst trying to set up some home tuition to at least get me back working with children in some way. I would have been much better off taking up one of the many TEFL jobs I was offered in S-E Asia for a couple of months.

Before I left to go travelling, I had a one term contract in an 'outstanding' school which I really did not enjoy, and by the end of it I was so miserable that I wasn't even sure if teaching was for me. Now, being out of formal teaching for nearly a year, I miss it terribly. I'm now off to apply for every suitable job on the website - here goes nothing!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, katherinium.

5. Thanks hippo, I've PM'ed you right back.

Quick application question for you all - I'm thinking of applying for a school in Shanghai, but they want a 'statement of educational philosophy' as well as a covering letter. What does that mean exactly? Should I write something like that I believe that children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way... should I in fact just type out the lyrics for that entire Whitney Houston song and send that off? It'll do at least as well as all my other applications...

6. Not at all pompous, in fact very helpful. I've just got a reply from one of the schools I applied for, with 10 extra questions to answer, one of which was about my educational philosophy. I found some good quotes and went for it. Fingers crossed for getting an interview! In the meantime, more applications....

7. Thanks weesywoo, that's encouraging to hear. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the moment. I'm spending any free days I have on my applications, I've spent hours improving my CV, I feel like my letters of application are getting better, but still nothing, not even a rejection. I get that international schools get a lot of applications, it's just frustrating not getting any feedback to know what I'm doing wrong! But I'll keep going, and if it doesn't happen, I'll just have to pray I get something permanent in good old Blighty for September!

8. Ask TheoGriff. I can't remember where his advice on writing an application is but you could ask. It worked for me.
    Dear Theo,
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/77.aspx
    Good luck.