1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applications by email NOT accepted?! why??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, May 13, 2011.

1. I've been up the wall lately due to a family illness so have been job seeking when I have found the chance. I found an advert at an excellent school and noticed the deadline was very soon so I filled in the application form and did my letter of application. Promptly went on their website to find the email address to send it to and it says in tiny writing in the middle of a paragraph of rubbish - application forms must be posted in and emails will not be accepted.
    I have spent hours preparing my application and as the deadline was today it obviously wouldnt get there in time through the post. I am pretty sure the person spec had a lot of essential ICT criteria - the school is hardly promoting ICT though is it!
    Just annoyed that I have wasted hours and some schools have such silly processes!

2. maleprime

maleprime New commenter

Simply because schools don't want to print out loads of applications which are generally each 10+ pages long. Multiply that by say 100 and you can understand why. Even looking at them on a screen would take a lot of effort and time as opposed to just flicking through a posted application.

3. I was told recently I couldn't email an application because it required my signature on the forms.
    Annoying though as it ends up costing a small fortune when you've lots to post, and especially if like me you leave them to the last minute and need to post next day delivery :/

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I've applied for four jobs and they've all accepted email applications. The forms have said that if an electronic signature has been used, you will later be asked to provide a written one if you get the job. I would be annoyed if I had to print and post a form because even if it is before the deadline, there is always the issue of it getting lost, delayed or damaged in the post.

5. In areas where there are literally 100's of applicants for each vacancy, it wouldn't take too long for the school's inbox to fill & emails to start being bounced back!

I looked at a school last week & the HT cited the cost of an administrator sitting & printing off the applications in addition to the actual cost of paper as the main reason for not accepting email applications. Not saying that I agree, just relaying what I was told.