1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applications and interviews; just found out I need surgery.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cg82, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I'm in the process of applying for jobs but have just found out I need to have surgery soon. The recovery time will be 6-8 weeks (mostly recovery and rest). If I am off work, can I attend interviews etc?
    Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you are unwell, but glad that it is going to be sorted out!
    You need to meet with your dr specifically to ask this question, and get him to note the answer in his records - you take it down too in a notebook. Without this authorisation, you would be uninsured in the school where you are being interviewed.
    Once you have been given the medical all-clear to do what amounts to, probably, half a day's work with rest the day before and after, then you will just need to inform the school that you may need some special consideration (steps, chair - I am just inventing here) due to a temporary medical condition that will be over once you are due to begin work.
    Best wishes

3. Thanks very much, brilliant, helpful advice as always!