1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

applications and deadlines!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by grantgust, Mar 4, 2017.

1. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Hi,
    do you think that people diminish their chances to be shortlisted if the school receives the application on the day of the deadline?

Thanks!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It wouldn't in my school, I wouldn't expect it to anywhere. What's the point of a school saingy date X is the deadline if they are unwilling to give the same consideration to applications received on deadline day? In my school the HR person basically just logs the applications that come in until after the deadline day. Nothing is done with the applications until then. After deadline day HR manager passes all the on-time applications to the head to start shortlisting.

3. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

In my last school, applications received after the deadline were simply shredded.

4. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

thanks, do you think it may look 'rushed'? They were in the process of shortlisting at my current school and the Head referred to the applications received just before the deadline as 'rushed'. Do you think it really gives a bad impression?

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I have known appointments made before the quoted deadline. i would always advise to get your application in early.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The "rushed" applications include:
    the one with the wrong school name in the application letter,
    ditto with the incorrect name for the Head,
    the one which had not been anywhere near a spellcheck,
    where the year group was wrong,
    one from a secondary teacher ( for a primary post) which referred throughout to GCSE/A level successes but had no information whatsoever to explain why the applicant had applied for a primary post.

Arriving on the due date barely registers in comparison!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just because I'm good at deadlines, every application I've ever sent will have been received on the deadline day or the day before (if closing was a Monday).

I've only once not got an interview.

8. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I'm similar to you in that respect @caterpillartobutterfly but with a lower success rate haha! It does worry me now that I am seeing ads which state appointments may be made before the deadline should a suitable applicant be found.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL Didn't say I went on to get all the jobs!
    Yeps, I've never applied to one of those. I'd not have a hope would I?! ;)

Landofla likes this.
  10. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In other lines of work an early applicant for a job, who looked like an excellent candidate, might well be interviewed early in order to get hold of them before competitors do.

wanet likes this.
  11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

This does happen in schools as well.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

On the whole, schools have already decided the interview date and don't make any decisions before the deadline, although it may be that if they had filled up all the slots, an earlier application would take precedence over a later one of similar quality. The practice of interviewing as and when a suitable candidate comes along seems more common towards the end of May, when schools are keen to fill up a gapm and want to give the successful candidate time to resig before the deadline.

In any case, I see no point worrying about it. If you want to apply for a job, take as long as you need to produce a decent application and then put it in as quickly as possible.

13. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As long as the application reaches the school before the deadline stated it will be considered (otherwise there is little point in having a deadline). You may have spent the past week filling the application form in etc. and wishes to do a careful, final check through the evening before the deadline.
    I once decided not to go for a particular post which looked really interesting from many angles, but on the morning of the 2pm deadline (after a lot of thought) I felt I had to give it a go. I spent the morning on the application and clicked 'send' at 1.59pm. Later that day I received an email inviting me for interview.

14. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, I've noticed that, too - perhaps it is as @Skeoch suggests, and @wanet has known an appointment to be made before the closing date. I'm still curious as to why an advert would say this, though. Does anyone know the reasons why a school might include this sentence?

Landofla likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

The poshest of the prestigious independents near me always has this in their application packs. They are a huge school, so have a fair number of vacancies each year. No idea why.
    They also always want a handwritten letter of application, so I've never applied...not sure my Sainsburys Basics paper would be deemed suitable!

Landofla likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Possibly so that if they see an excellent candidate that they want to snap up as soon as their application comes in other candidates who hadn't yet submitted their application cannot make a complaint?

ViolaClef and wanet like this.
  17. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

For a post like a vacancy in Mathematics or Physics an excellent application needs to have urgent action otherwise an opportunity for the school can be lost. It came to my attention when a HT drew up a short list of five three weeks after the first advert and when he invited them for interview three had been appointed elsewhere. Never again he stated.

ViolaClef and wanet like this.
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes, that is why early appointments are made. If historically schools have lost potentially good candidates, then early appointments will secure them before thay get appointed elswhere.

ViolaClef likes this.
  19. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Also, I bet the sch has a candidate in mind already so no need to get lots of other potentials in.

ViolaClef likes this.
  20. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter