1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

application

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cervinia, May 12, 2011.

  1. Cervinia

    Cervinia Occasional commenter

    At what stage of the process? Surely you're interviewing them as well as them you.
     
  2. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    Usually, schools want an answer on the day, so if school A offers you a job on Monday, you may have to make a decision before the interview at school B on Wednesday. You are often asked at lunchtime of the interview day whether you are still a candidate, so if you don't like the school, you can pull out then. (If you're undecided, then say what you still need to know - on one occasion, all of us being interviewed pointed out that we hadn't yet met any students.)
    It's not unknown for people to ask for more time to consider, or even to be upfront about having another interview, but the risk is that they say no, or even say that in that case they'll offer the job to the person who came a close second. The reaction may depend on how quickly the job market is moving - in peak weeks, waiting two days for a decision may mean that the second and third choice candidates have had successful interviews elsewhere in the meantime. It may be easier to ask if your preference for the other school is because it's 40 miles nearer home, rather than because its exam results are better.
    I had two interviews close together when I started teaching. The second was at my TP school, whose references had got me interviews everywhere else I applied: it was also much better located for me. The first school offered me a post, and I didn't take the risk: I accepted the job there, and it worked out really well for me. If you think you could be happy in school A, it's probably best just to accept it and pull out from school B.
     
  3. theNavigator

    theNavigator New commenter

    Which one is the best? It's your life and career - you chose.

    When I graduated from the PGCE course, the first job I was offered was in England (nice school, nice area) and the second in a wild, untamed place in Scotland. I fell in love with the second one, and (with a fair amount of guilt) ditched the first.
     

Share This Page