1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application to PGDE in Primary Teaching @ Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Ziri, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ziri

Ziri New commenter

Hi all,

I've just recently landed a job in a law firm— something that I wanted before I pursue the DPLP to start a traineeship —and have realised that I really don't enjoy the culture nor the work! I'm now revisiting the idea of going into primary teaching and have some questions (I'm male, if that matters)

1) How difficult is it to get the necessary experience for an application? e.g., is it difficult to get a pupil support assistant job?

2) Do different PGDE providers have different views on how much and what type of experience you need?

3) Will having the necessary English and Mathematics courses as pending (as I never sat them— I did an Access course) put me at a significant disadvantage?

4) If I can't get into my preferred provider (Edinburgh), would it be possible to travel from Edinburgh to Glasgow, Stirling, or Dundee to complete it there? (unfortunately I can't move)

Really appreciate any help,

-Z

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think you should spend some time in a school before considering this further - quitting a career in law to work as a PSA doesn't seem like a good idea unless you are fairly confident it is what you want to do.

3. Ziri

Ziri New commenter

Hi, I'm currently trying to get some time in local schools but as of yet I've not heard back from any of them. Also, it's worth noting that I don't have much in the way of a 'career in law'— I think most shop/coffee jobs pay more than what I'm on!