1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application sent- Follow up?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kidders, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Just wondering what the protocol is regarding following-up job applications? I sent an application on Friday (this week is obviously half-term), but should I be emailing/ phoning up to check they received my letter of application, or should I wait? Also if I should wait, how long should I wait?

Sorry for the needy sounding post!

2. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Just wondering what the protocol is regarding following-up job applications? I sent an application on Friday (this week is obviously half-term), but should I be emailing/ phoning up to check they received my letter of application, or should I wait? Also if I should wait, how long should I wait?

Sorry for the needy sounding post!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and welcome to our Forum. Hope you read all the FAQs and the shortlisting advice inside the Welcome thread and found it useful in writing your application.
    Now to answer the question.
    No, you don't need to do anything at all.
    And, unfortunately, for the same reason that you need do nothing (they may have 200+ applications in some parts of the country for some jobs, and don't want to deal with 200 phonecalls . . .), they may well never tell you if you haven't been shortlisted.
    So in fact you should wait until after the date that they gave you for the interview (by which time you know that you haven't been shortlisted), or if they gave no date, then you should wait for ever.
    Sorry!
    It's like putting something into a black hole, I know.
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Oh how depressing! I understand there may be hundred of applications being sent, however a blanket email to all unsuccessful candidates is surely just courteous?! After all we have taken time to show our interest... idealistic i'm sure!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not as fast as you think to send out 100 or so e-mails - the applications don't automatically turn themselves into a mailing list . . . would have to be done individually and the poor School Secretary is answering the phone, filling in the absentee lists, collecting in money for the school trip and making coffee for the Head . . .
    Most unusual for any school to contact unsuccessful applicants nowadays, I'm afraid.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Put it this way Kidders - if you know you put in maximum effort and listened to Theo's advice, then you obviously are emotionally investing in a response, which is fuelling your 'neediness'. Desperation = lack of opportunities. I suggest start looking at another opportunity as well, as it is coming to the time when most jobs come out.
    The norm is if you don't hear after a school week or two after the deadline, then you didn't make the cut. Get feedback from someone you trust i.e. ex-tutor, school colleague etc, to reflect on why the application didn't work out if this is the case.
    Good luck!