1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

application letter advice please

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by semolina29, Jan 30, 2019.

1. semolina29

semolina29 New commenter

Th deputy head ( private SEN school) post is asking me to attach a brief handwritten letter 'outlining the qualities you could bring to this post ' along with the application form. How brief is brief? Any tips?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious, but I would outline what qualities you have which make you suitable for the post as concisely as you can. The job advert should tell you at least some of the qualities the school is looking for. I doubt if there is a fixed length required, just as long as it takes to get your points across.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Up to a page or so would be brief I would think, depending on the role applied for.
    Two pages maximum though.

It's been eye opening how many private schools still require covering letters to be handwritten.
    Will they judge applicants on the quality of the paper? Whether it is a fountain pen?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Fountain pen, every time!

I once had three interviews at a rather snooty merchant bank. After the last one, I was asked to write a short letter to be analysed by some Swiss woman who would be able to determine much about my personality from it. I never found out what my writing said about me, except that it was not good enough to get me the job!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

This is what is currently worrying me!

Neat handwriting, with a proper pen, on proper paper is very possibly a skill I have lost over the last 20 years!

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I wouldn't get any further than that. Did s/he ask you in handwritten form? I'd see that word, think they have no idea about time management and efficiency and bow out.

Unless I had time to kill, in which case I'd put my heart and soul into a beautifully written letter then when they offered me the job say I couldn't possible accept unless the offer was handwritten.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL I used to think exactly like that!

But then I moved to the private sector and noticed many schools want handwritten letters. If I reject all schools asking for a handwritten letter, there would be very few left where I live. Add to the fact people tend not to leave private schools so often, there would be a very, very tiny number of vacancies.