1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by k1tsun3, Feb 15, 2011.

1. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

I'm applying for a position where a hand-written covering letter is required, as well as the completion of a section explaining why you applied for this job and why you are suitable for it.

How are these different? Do they really mean a covering letter or is it still a letter of application? I'm confused and need to post the application asap. I'm not sure what to do. I read through the how to get short listed, but I'm still a little confused.

Cheers.

2. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I have had this situation before and I chose to include my executive summary of suitability in the application form where you need to state those two specified things... I was then more descriptive in the covering letter. Use the person spec as a framework for writing the summary.
    It seems to have worked as I have an interview on Thursday (eek).

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done Laura - both for the interview and for the perfect answer above.
    Looking forward to that new thread Dear Theo - I got that job!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

*STOP PRESS * There will also be a Northern Applications Workshop in Manchester on Saturday March 5th. www.tesweekendworkshop14.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Hi, I'm new to this forum - and to this process in general, so I may have a number of questions, I'm afraid!

Firstly, in the application form(s) I've seen so far, the section called 'Personal Statement' seems to be quite a rigorous affair where they give a full page for you to write your answer and say you should continue on a separate sheet if necessary. For this reason, I've made my answer quite detailed (using the person spec. / job description) and it takes up about two pages. In my covering letter, I've been including just the 'highlights' of my suitability for the post. Am I doing something wrong? Laura, what do you mean by 'more descriptive' in the covering letter.... ?

Also, with a handwritten covering letter for an independent school, how does one format the address / date stuff at the top - just your own address (and name?) on the right hand side, or the school's address on the left as well?

Thanks!

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

While the school might have a good reputation, think very carefully about whether it's the kind of place you would be happy working in. Heads who ask for hand-written letters are usually overbearing, pompous, prats.