1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application has letter and "OTHER INFORMATION IN SUPPORT OF YOUR APPLICATION" section. What to put in each?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by deanman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi
    The title says it all really. There is a section on the application I am completing where I would usually write details of all the things that qualify me for this particular post. In addition to this I am asked to write a letter to explain why I am applying and as an opportunity to personalise my application.
    I am interested to see what people usually do in this situation with regards to producing information about how they meet the person specification. I am not sure how much repitition fromm the letter to the supporting information is acceptable or desirable.

Any advice would be gratefully received

2. Hi
    The title says it all really. There is a section on the application I am completing where I would usually write details of all the things that qualify me for this particular post. In addition to this I am asked to write a letter to explain why I am applying and as an opportunity to personalise my application.
    I am interested to see what people usually do in this situation with regards to producing information about how they meet the person specification. I am not sure how much repitition fromm the letter to the supporting information is acceptable or desirable.

Any advice would be gratefully received

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My advice on this is here:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks for your reply Leo. I have read your "how to get shortlisted for a teaching post" that the aforementioned thread makes reference to (very useful, by the way, many thanks) In this piece you give pointers about completing the 'letter or statement,' it is still throwing me a little.

Should I discuss my qualities and experience in sufficient detail in the letter and then tick all the boxes using an "executive summary" in the "OTHER..." section? Or would it be better to treat the letter as puurely an opening letter with the bulk of the information in the "OTHER..." section?

Thanks again for your help

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First do the executive summary. This will help you drag out of your memopry other points that you might have forgotten. Put that in the space on the form. It is short, very concise, bullet poiints, not full sentences.
    Then write the letter.
    The letter will be a full explanation of why they should appoint you. Minor issues that are covered in the Summary you don't need to mention, but it is a stand-alone document that should be selling you to them! Needs to be full and clear about why you are the best.
    If you aren't lucky this time, perhaps you need to come along to one of our Win That Teaching Job seminars. There's one on Saturday 21st www.tesweekendworkshop78.eventbrite.com with two very good colleagues of mine, or I am doing one near February half term (Saturday 25 February) - all ready for the after Easter jobs/September jobs that start being advertised in March.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars