1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application forms: need help to understand what some sections mean

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ameliepira, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm currently doing my PGCE year and I'm looking for jobs. I've found several jobs I would like to apply to but when I started filling in the application forms earlier today, there are some sections where I'm not quite sure what to write.
    Here are the main ones:

- Grade of the vacancy?
    -Are you currently in a regular paid employment/work? I am not sure, I would say no even though I have a bursary from uni.
    -Present/Most recent employment: I plan to fill in the details of my teaching practice payment, but there are questions such as: date commenced, number on roll, school group, salary, financial benefit, period of notice. Some don't apply to me, is it ok to leave them blank?
    -Detail of teaching training: they ask for main teaching subject and subsidiary subjects. What does it mean? I'm doing PGCE science, does it mean main subject will be physics and subsidiary biology and chemistry, or main is science and subsidiary anything else?
    -DfES or Teacher number: is it always my GTC Teacher number which is a 7 digit number?

I hope you can help me to make sure I write the right info in each section.
    I wouldn't like to be rejected just because I didn't answer the right things in the application form.
    Thank you

2. Hello,
    I'm currently doing my PGCE year and I'm looking for jobs. I've found several jobs I would like to apply to but when I started filling in the application forms earlier today, there are some sections where I'm not quite sure what to write.
    Here are the main ones:

- Grade of the vacancy?
    -Are you currently in a regular paid employment/work? I am not sure, I would say no even though I have a bursary from uni.
    -Present/Most recent employment: I plan to fill in the details of my teaching practice payment, but there are questions such as: date commenced, number on roll, school group, salary, financial benefit, period of notice. Some don't apply to me, is it ok to leave them blank?
    -Detail of teaching training: they ask for main teaching subject and subsidiary subjects. What does it mean? I'm doing PGCE science, does it mean main subject will be physics and subsidiary biology and chemistry, or main is science and subsidiary anything else?
    -DfES or Teacher number: is it always my GTC Teacher number which is a 7 digit number?

I hope you can help me to make sure I write the right info in each section.
    I wouldn't like to be rejected just because I didn't answer the right things in the application form.
    Thank you

3. Whatever they've described the job as
    No
    Make it clear that you are filling in details from your time as a student, leave blank all the stuff about number on roll
    Whatever your PGCE is in
    The number from the QTS certificate that you don't have yet - leave it blank
    Hope this helps!

4. This is your teacher reference number and you do have this, it is the number under which you are registered with the GTCE - your provider should have given you a pack from the GTCE which will have your number - it starts with 10 the year you entered teacher training.
    James

5. That is SOOOO usefull! thanx