1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Form Referees

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by onyerbike, Sep 27, 2018.

1. onyerbike

onyerbike New commenter

Hi

I am applying for a job at the school where I am acting on supply. For references, do I put my current HOD down as will she be asked regardless or should I put someone else from a previous school? My last school are already my other referee.

Thanks

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I've always regarded application forms as an absolute waste of my time and even more so if you are already at the school. ................{Whinges on about why they don't accept CVs for several hours}

But anyway it's easier to put the current HoD so do that. Nobody will give it more than a cursory glance as they have seen enough of you to make the decision anyway.

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Last time I needed to know-and asked- I was told it should be the HT.

thekillers1 likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's the normal advice because it's required for safeguarding reasons. However as OP is already teaching at this school the appointment panel, which the head will be on, would know if there were any safeguarding issues so it's probably less critical. Reference from previous school should be the head though.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Not so easy when they are no longer in post :-(

6. Rott Weiler

But someone will be the headteacher! Unless the school has closed down. Whoever is head now gives the reference. Heads give references on behalf of the school, the employer. It's not personal, it doesn't matter if they don't know you. The school will still have your staff file.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

My last school before supply (3 years ago) refused to give me a reference for my current maternity job saying that it had been 3 years since I taught there. My current school used the head and HoD of my last year long maternity cover (on supply) from last year instead.

install likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Doesn't always work this way. The (then) HT of a school I had worked at for 8 years refused to give me a reference only about 3 years after I left as they were new, and said they didn't know me (it was a small SLT and the only other member I had worked with had also left). They told me to find the previous HT (who had retired).

Luckily I managed to do so, and he agreed to write a reference...Otherwise I might have found myself losing the job I'd just got!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

I realise some heads don't understand this Frank, I was saying what should happen. It's usually small school heads that have this misunderstanding. I guess their only experience of giving references is for people whose work they know personally. Heads of large secondaries won't think this (I hope!). They sign off references to people they know nothing about personally all the time, often I suspect they've only the vaguest idea who they are. And outside schools references usually come from HR departments who don't personally know any of the ex-staff. They use the staff file to do the reference.

If all heads took the view of yours what would happen if their predecessor had died! Teachers would never be able to work again on his logic...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It was a secondary school with 650 or so pupils. They were making some sort of point as - shortly after I had left for a promotion - the rest of the SLT were forced to resign or retire, mostly by a Chair of Governors apparently 'out of control'. I suspect the new HT didn't want to poke the bear...o_O

NB It was more than a decade ago, and the school had no 'HR' department. Few schools I worked in did, at least state schools. Maybe they do now.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You can, but they’ll probably want one from the HT too.

agathamorse likes this.