1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application form query - how does non-teaching job look on form?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Skope, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi
    As i have been unable to find work and supply was limited, I have been working in a friends shop for the past few months.
    Jobs are coming up now and I'll definitely be applying, but do I put the shop work as my most recent position? And how does this look to headteachers? Should I mention somewhere in the supporting statement that I was still avidly job hunting during this time or not mention it all?

I am really worried how this will appear to schools.

2. Hi
    As i have been unable to find work and supply was limited, I have been working in a friends shop for the past few months.
    Jobs are coming up now and I'll definitely be applying, but do I put the shop work as my most recent position? And how does this look to headteachers? Should I mention somewhere in the supporting statement that I was still avidly job hunting during this time or not mention it all?

I am really worried how this will appear to schools.

3. Also! When applying for jobs in different areas of the country, does reflect badly against you? Do recruiters tend to go for applicants from the local area?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you put your shop post down - it is important that you account for all your time to prove, allegedly, that you weren't in prison.
    *sigh*
    never really sure how this does prove it, but there you go.
    HOWEVER . . .
    They ask for current employer as a referee. Don't do that, read this advice from me instead; I wrote it in reply to someone who was working in Next.
    On the form, if there is a space where it asks for current employer, write: Temporary employment at Next, High Street, Bradford, BD3 4RT.
    However, where it asks for referees, do NOT put Next, put two education referees.
    I know that this is going against the instructions to give your current employer as a referee, but those forms were devised in the long distant past, as much as two or three years ago, when teaching applicants weren't taking just any job that they could.
    To cover yourself, have a short paragraph in your letter: I have given two education referees, as these are people who can speak of my classroom skills and professional qualities. However, if you should also wish for a reference from my temporary employer in the retail trade, then please feel free to approach Mr Theo Griff, Branch Manager, Next, High Street, Bradford, BD3 4RT.
    They don't actually want a reference from Next, to be honest, so you have nothing to worry about not giving them as referees.
    Ignore it - they will know that shop work was not your chosen career path.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars