1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Form - Personal Statement Length

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rwd11, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm in the process of applying for jobs in the area covered by Sheffield City Council and have been filling out their application form located here
    https://jobs.sheffield.gov.uk/Application_T.doc
    However, on page 6 there is a large box entitled 'suitability for the job,' and I'm confused as to whether what I write can only fit in that box, or whether it's acceptable to keep typing and extend the box onto the next page. I can't find any information in the guideance notes, however if you instead opt to fill out the online form there is no limit to the amount you can type, which leads me to believe this is the same, within reason.
    Am I right in thinking this?
    Thanks.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have to say I would absolutely not say 'see additional sheets' and then attach them. When a school has 200 application for a post, as does happen these days in primary for sure, then they are going to instantly bin any that make their life difficult or have not followed the directions. Adding extra, unnecessary, sheets comes into that category.

Extend the box up to two sides. Using either the form (much more user friendly than the one for my LA, by the way!) or online is fine, but keep the section to less than 2 sides. I would recommend typing it into word and then copying and pasting once you have it perfect.

Personally I would send that form, with the box extended to 2 sides and a separate sheet with an executive summary, both as attachments to an email, the body of which is a short covering letter.

Not sure if the exec summary should be on the form though, Theo is the expert and will tell you.