1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application form help for SEN TA role

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by CatBingo, Aug 31, 2020.

1. CatBingo

CatBingo New commenter

Hi there,

I am applying for a TA in a Secondary school (primarily providing SEN support). I've been working in a primary in the same capacity for a while.

The application form has got three main sections that need completing. I've done the Skills and Experience ones but the third is Knowledge and I'm stuck on that one.

Any tips on what to put there? I'm drawing a blank, because basically anything I might have put there I've referred to in the other two sections. There's a whole section on training which I've completed so anything related to formal training has already been covered.

Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi CatBingo, welcome to TES. I've never completed a secondary application form and understand what you are saying. Could this section relate partly to your knowledge of the curriculum? I'm sure you've had to list your qualifications somewhere else, but you could write something about 'My spelling and grammar are good. I am a keen reader and know I will be familiar with many of the texts students will study - I would want to find out and read in advance any that were new to me. My Maths knowledge is secure; I have looked at recent GCSE papers and am confident that I could support students with this level of study. If the role is to support in a particular department, focus mainly on that subject.
    I would also be writing something about SEN. Draw on any experience you have had ... 'In my last job, I worked in a class where there were two children with ASD. Although I was not 1-1 with these children, I built a good relationship with them and learned a great deal about strategies which supported them and ensured that they could access the curriculum. For example, ......'
    Hopefully someone else with knowledge of a secondary applications will come along, but that's the way I would go. Good luck!