1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application form dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pinkmarshmallow2, Jan 24, 2016.

1. pinkmarshmallow2

pinkmarshmallow2 New commenter

Hi
    Having read all your excellent advice I am currently in the middle of applying for a new post. The latest application form is the worst I've seen, an editable PDF but no formatting supported. There are 2 pages in the middle of the form for 'Additional Evidence ' but the advert also says a 2 page supporting letter can be submitted. I have written an ES but don't know what to put where? I've tried putting the ES in the gap in the form but it looks a real mess. If I put the ES as the 3rd page of my letter, what do I put on the form? It seems like I have lots of room to play with, but I want to keep it focussed and not repeat myself lots.

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks
    Pink

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Somehow, somehow, you need to get the E.S. into the form.

Use free software to convert the PDF to Word. Tidy it up, put in the E.S., convert it back to PDF.

The one I use is this: https://www.freepdfconvert.com/#

Best wishes

3. pinkmarshmallow2

Hi Theo
    Thanks for the advice, despite trying several different pdf converters it still looks like a dogs breakfast! When convert it, the graphics go everywhere, the form has a watermark and loads of graphics - its very pretty, just not that functional!! After re-pdf'ing it - it still looks a mess.

I don't want to put 'see letter' in the box so any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
    Pink

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Phone the school, speak to the secretary, say you are having problems, can she give you a Word version.

Or: print out the E.S. and the form, once you have filled in the rest of it. Stick the E.S, into space on form, then scan the form into pdf

Best wishes

5. pinkmarshmallow2

Hi Theo
    In the end I printed the pdf form, put the page back in the printer to print my ES on to it and then rescanned the whole document and saved to pdf. Thanks for all your advice - what a disaster of a form! I was also amused by the 5 lines they allowed for 'Qualifications' and they wanted everything from secondary to post-graduate!!

It's all sent off - so lets hope I'm needing some interview tips soon.
    Pink

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!

You are a lot cleverer than me - I would never have managed to do that!

You deserve an interview after that. ;)

Best wishes