1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application form and CV advice

Discussion in 'Independent' started by primaryMFL, Sep 24, 2017.

1. primaryMFL

primaryMFL New commenter

Hello

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I'm in the process of applying for a class teacher post in a small prep in London. In the advert, it states a handwritten personal statement, application form and CV are required. I'm a little unsure what to include in my CV which doesn't duplicate the information I include in my letter and application form. Any advice?

Many thanks!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Duplicate the information from your application form.
    They are just an old fashioned kind of school wanting a handwritten letter and CV, but are following safer recruitment guidelines and union recommendations by also having an application form.
    There is a very well known independent prep here which asks for the same.

3. primaryMFL

primaryMFL New commenter

Thank you!

4. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

The letter allows you to personalise and state why you want to work for them and sort of spell out what you bring that would make them want to interview you. So you can develop something that might only get a short space elsewhere. Study their web pages closely for their favoured 'ethos' words etc.

primaryMFL likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Sounds like a sweet school - the letter should make your ethos regarding education clear so check the school details. It will also allow you to reveal the passion and drive you have - your reason for applying. The cv will be contain more detail - specific dates, exam grades, work history etc.

Good luck. I used to work in a small prep - loved it :cool:

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The letter is for how you meet every point in the person spec. Do not waffle on about anything else, it is the letter that will get you shortlisted if you meet the selection criteria. Chances are there won't be room for extras.
    Your personality and philosophy will shine through just from the examples you give and the way you word things.

Check that the school is financially stable and will pay you a decent wage. Many small preps are struggling and may leave you out of pocket if things go wrong.