1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application for Passport Renewal

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by WatchYourTongue, Apr 29, 2019.

1. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

Hi all,

I'm in Italy. Getting conflicting answers from HM Passport Office web helpline. I want to apply for a new passport (renewal) and need to check which ID I should send.

The first adviser said I need address proof, the second said I didn't because Italy is a Group 1 country, so I just have to send my old passport after I apply online.

I want to believe the second one, but was wondering if anyone had experience?

Cheers all.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would get a letter from my school on headed paper giving my full name, passport number and my living address. This must be written in English otherwise it will not be accepted by the passport office. Proof of address in the UK is also required but can be a recent utility bill, mobile bill or bank statement.

I would send this anyway as your passport application can not be refused for the inclusion of extra information.

3. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

It's a while since I last did this (from Spain) but i dont think I had to provide proof of address - if I had, I'd have used my rental contract I think.

And definitely i didn't have to provide proof of a UK address - i wasn't living in the UK so didn't have an address there.

FWIW it was stupidly expensive but very quick.

4. lilyflower18

lilyflower18 New commenter

I changed my name on my passport a couple of years ago after my marriage. I was in the USA. I didn't have to send any proof of address, just proof of my name change, two new photos and my old passport.

5. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

I think that's a good idea, firstly as I don't want to be sending multiple envelopes to the UK by DHL, and secondly I don't want to be without my passport for longer than necessary.

I actually have proof of address in the UK (a recent ID check via Experian before applying for a DBS Check) but as I'm in Italy they said I have to use my Italian address. I was tempted to just apply as if I'm in the UK, but the final page of the application has lots of serious-sounding threats if I am not 100% honest.

6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I did it in China and didn't have to show any proof of address - and the passport was returned within 2 weeks, quicker than if I'd been in the UK!

I did take with me my tax return to show residency and a letter from my school confirming my address in case they needed it though.

7. 576

576 Established commenter

From Italy I think I'd be tempted to do the fast track and go home for a weekend. You submit all info on line, get an appointment at the passport office of your choice to collect the new passport and I'm pretty sure all I needed to take was the passport.

8. knocker

knocker New commenter

Have done this twice recently from the Asia. Can't image why Italy would be any different, and I doubt you'd need to go back to UK.

Fill in the form on gov website.

If your picture hasn't changed recently then all you need to do is upload a new passport image of yourself.

Send old passport by DHL, etc. to passport office.

Wait two weeks, get new passport and then old passport back.

Easy as pie. I assume as you need to send your old passport back acts as a check, even if your address has changed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    rosiecg likes this.
  9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I was going to wait until I went home but then had a window in which I wasn’t travelling for a couple of months so decided to do it from overseas.

10 days door to door to what is a rather challenging location!!

10. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Yep same as @knocker - I applied online from Malaysia. Uploaded a new pic, paid, sent off old passport and got everything back in a couple of weeks.

11. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Hi,

Was this recent?

Thanks, SP

12. tica

tica New commenter

Did this from Germany 4 weeks ago. Passport arrived within a couple of weeks and the bonus is the photo I uploaded is much better than any I've ever had taken professionally!

13. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Yes in December.