1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application for new job threshold questions

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ngadeu, Apr 7, 2018.

1. ngadeu

ngadeu New commenter

Hi I need help with an application form. I am no good at them at the best of times and now I'm stumped! I left full time teaching 3 and a bit years ago to bring up a family. Since then I've been doing supply. I went through threshold just before I left.
    this application form wants details of:

Please provide evidence of how your experience, skills and abilities demonstrate that you are ‘highly competent’ and have a ‘sustained’ and ‘substantial’ impact on teaching and learning across the school.

I can talk about my teaching and observations - although are now a few years out of date - and the impact of whole school initiatives / responsibilities but the "highly competent" has me stuck. The form says that my practice needs to be good enough to provide coaching and mentoring to other teachers, give advice to them and demonstrate to them effective teaching practice and how to make a wider contribution to the work of the school, in order to help them meet the relevant standards and develop their teaching practice. I've never had the opportunity to do this!

Any advice on what sort of things I could put on the form would be greatly appreciated!

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Take all of those words out if you find it difficult to blag. Just show evidence of your skills and abilities having an impact on T&L in your school. Then when you have finished, go back and add in the occasional “highly competent”, “sustained” and “substantial”.

You just need to believe...

Pomza likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I'm sure you have, maybe just on an informal basis.

Ever worked with a colleague to plan lessons?
    Ever offered any advice on managing the behaviour of a child/children?
    Ever shown a new member of staff where they can find the right document/person/toilet?
    Ever led and assembly or organised (or helped at)an event?
    Ever attended a meeting where a decision on policy was made?

There are a million things you can adapt to demonstrate these competencies...

Teachers are rubbish at recognising all the things they do...

4. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Agreed, early in my teaching career I someone elses application, from that i realised that it is easy to sell yourself.

Pomza likes this.