1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application for internal promotion - letter help!!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jeanie-Ju, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jeanie-Ju

Jeanie-Ju New commenter

Hi all!

I am trying to write a letter of application for an internal promotion (following a re-structure where I have lost my TLR).
    I'm not a big fan of applications or interview processes - stress - but I do really want one of the positions available. :)

Anyway, there are 2 posts I am applying for - both Assistant principal with responsibility for a key stage each. They both come with other responsibilities also.

My problem is I'm not sure how to word the first part of my letter - ordinarily I would put something along the lines of:
    I am writing to apply for the post of *assistant principal*. Then move on to how I fit the post.

How would I write both without it sounding far too loooonnnng?!

The posts are:
    Assistant principal with responsibility for Key stage 4 and interventions/ alternative provision
    Assistant principal with responsibility for Key stage 4 and exams/ accreditation

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I start with an introduction about how many years I have been a teacher and why I am interested in the role

3. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

You are applying for assistant principle but don’t know how to start / formulate a letter? Did I read that correctly?

Will you always ask Tes when you need to write a letter to parent/governor, employee, etc etc on how to start it.

I’m all for helping but for assistant principles etc you need to have intelligence ( not saying you don’t have it) perseverance etc. If you can’t a write a letter are you sure you’re ready for the challenges and improve the education and lives of youngsters?

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

To be fair, we write to parents far more frequently than we apply for SLT roles.

I often get a block when beginning an application and it's not re the main content, just on the opening line.

5. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Yes. Correct. But you’ve missed the point I feel.