1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application for Flexible Working

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by SassyMac, Jan 9, 2017.

1. SassyMac

SassyMac New commenter

Hi All,

I am returning from maternity leave in a few months and would like to request part time. I was given a flexible working application form to fill out.

Just looking for advice on what to put on the application form for part time work in the sections about impact on school and colleagues and how this can be dealt with.

Thanks!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Primary / secondary? And have you talked informally to your head to find out what they think?

Primary is likely to be things like "another teacher would need to be recruited to share my class with me", unless you know that your head would probably move you to PPA cover, of course. If you have any responsibilities you should consider whether they would be affected.

In secondary, it's not always as simple as recruiting someone for the other days, if they want to avoid split classes. It's fairly straightforward if you teach RE, as most classes only have one lesson. If you teach maths, it's pretty difficult to get all your groups having all their lessons on your days. See what you can do in terms of presenting solutions, or convincing them that split classes are not necessarily a bad thing and that you have strategies in place. If your department is over-staffed, you can point out that your going part-time would redress this.

Talking to the head first may elicit their concerns, and then you know what you have to counteract!

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide