1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application for Assistant Head, how important is experience of more than one school?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, May 17, 2011.

1. I would look at what you had achieved so far and the evidence of impact. Have you taught different age groups and led different initiatives? If so, you'll be fine.

2. I wwould suggest you need to move and get wider experience. We would not consider an application for an AHT unless they had taught in more than one school. I had this discussion with some friends from other schools last night and they agreed. The four felt that we would want somebidy who had a) proved they could adapt to a new school and seen other ways of doing things, b) learnt more about themselves from moving which inevitably you do and c) had not simply stayed in one school becuase it was confortable.
    I took a side ways move to get experience as I was in the same position as you. I did two years at the second school, moved on to AHt for three years and am now deputy. I feel that experience was invaluable.
    Might not be what you want to hear sorry but hope it helps.

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I do know of one school in London where the previous HT started their career on teaching practice, joined the staff and then was promoted up the ladder eventually to HT.
    As far as I know never had a teaching post in another school and also was awarded a new year honour a few years agao. Now retired.