1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application: email or royal mail?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by livingforthesunshine, Apr 25, 2019.

1. livingforthesunshine

livingforthesunshine New commenter

Hi there

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm applying for a new job and not sure whether I should print off my application and post, or just email.

If I email, would I attach my covering letter as an attachment or copy it in to the main email section? I'm worried that they may just print off the application form (which has a supporting statement on it) and not share the covering letter with the others involved in the short-listing process.

So I'm thinking it may be better to post the whole lot - in which case, would I staple it all together so nothing goes astray?

Is there anyone out there who can advise on how the short-listing process works? Does everything get printed off and kept together?

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

1. Does the job ad state that you have to send a covering letter?
    If so, and you email it, they are bound to print it off just the same as the application, and just the same as the other candidates'.
    2. If not, they could easily disregard it, or even worse, ignore your application in its entirety because you didn't read the application process properly.
    3. Does the job application state you should send it by post or by email? Some ads give both options, in which case it's your judgement call.
    4. What's stopping you contacting them to ask? There ought to be a contact somewhere in the job ad in case of any questions-use it.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

First thing is to see what the job ad says about how you should reply.

If email is permitted then your covering letter can be an attachment to the email. The email itself only needs to say "I attach my covering letter, application form and personal statement for....".

Any document you attach which you have produced yourself (ie you aren't filling in their form) save and send as a pdf. That locks the formatting. If you send it as a Word document some printers can muck up the formatting when HR prints it out for the selection panel. And make sure you give each attachment a self explanatory document name, eg "Personal Statement - John Smith.pdf", not "Doc1.pdf"

Subject line in the email needs to be clear as well eg "Application for Head of English - John Smith"

This shouldn't need saying on TES, but ensure your personal email account that you sending it from has a professional sounding name and no witty signatures embedded. If your email account is usually "sunseeker" or "buff boy" open another email account!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    digoryvenn and agathamorse like this.
  4. livingforthesunshine

livingforthesunshine New commenter

Thanks for your replies. The ad doesn't mention a covering letter one way or another, but I would never send a form with nothing - not sure whether this is wrong, but it hasn't prevented me getting my previous jobs so am assuming it is acceptable.
    They don't say whether to send in the post or email but I am unable to contact the school as they do not open until Monday, which is the closing date.
    So I just thought I'd see what others would do in my situation.

5. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

I've always emailed my applications, and I'm sure 99% of people do, nowadays.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Email...why on earth would you do anything else?