1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application deadline extended after interviews called?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by FriarLawrence, May 13, 2019.

1. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Is there anything to be read into the fact that a job I'm interviewing for this week has had its closing date extended?

To be clear: original closing date was last week. They called me for interview, which is tomorrow. But now the closing date has been extended to after my interview.

It's an independent school, so I appreciate that the rules are different, but it just struck me as odd.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would assume they haven't had as many applications as they would like (or applicants they've liked the look of), so they are keeping their options open by extending the deadline.

3. FriarLawrence

That’s what I thought. Not sure whether that’s a good thing for me or not. ;)

Spanishone likes this.
  4. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

I applied for a few independent schools. One in particular I was called for interview and they extended the deadline as well. I got offered that job although ultimately didn't take it as accepted a position in another independent school. As previous posters said I think they just like to keep their options open. Its very common for independent schools to appoint when they feel they've found the right person regardless of the application deadline. Do your best in the interview and you have as much chance of getting it as you did before! Good luck

sabrinakat and FriarLawrence like this.
  5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Go for it!

If you are what they want, they can inform all the other applications that a suitable candidate has been found and Good luck!:)

FriarLawrence likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think there are any rules. One positive possibility is that they only have one or two suitable candidates, and are inviting more applications just in case.

phlogiston and FriarLawrence like this.
  7. FriarLawrence

Thanks all :)

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Or they might have had another resignation come in (or be in the offing), so they'd like a larger field in the hope of being able to appoint two.

9. FriarLawrence

Well, they haven't let me know yet (early this week apparently), but the closing date has been extended *again*, so I'm taking that as a pretty clear no. The weird part is that I know they approached my school for references, with an email that said "please provide us with a reference for @FriarLawrence who may be employed in the post of X, subject to references". I know my references are good.

So frankly I'm a bit all over the place in terms of knowing what to think.

I'm guessing I haven't been lucky because why extend the date? But then why take up refs? AAAARGH the waiting is killing me.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry to hear it. I hope the waiting ends soon, with the right result.