1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application confusion - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Daddicool, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am a Primary PGCE student, preparing an application for a post starting next September. The school has sent an application pack, containing a standard Local Authority application form with the usual space for me to explain how I meet the job requirements. There is no guidance in the covering letter about whether they expect a letter of application. For any other (non-teaching) job, this would not be an issue and I would just complete the form as normal, but I know that providing a letter of application is quite common for teaching jobs. Do I (a) just go ahead and complete the form, (b) put 'See letter of application' on the form, and send an accompanying letter of application, or (c) (at the risk of looking a bit feckless) call the school and ask them about their expectations? I know it's all essentially the same information conveyed in different ways, but I don't want to take the chance of doing anything that could prejudice my application, given how competitive the market is. Any comments gratefully accepted! Thanks in advance.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If there is a section that specifically asks how you meet the job requirements then this is in essence the content of what would go into a supporting statement. You can include a shorter letter of application using letter format emphasising your interest in the post- availability for interview and a few comments about why you are suitable to underline your key strengths.
    Use the prospects.ac.uk website for getting your first teaching job information on letters of application. Unions also produce useful guidance.

3. Hi Welshwizard, thanks for taking the time to reply, and for your help. I was working on it last night, and I think that's the best way to go - hit the points in the person spec using the application form, and then use the letter of application to emphasise other key strengths. I will certainly check out the sources you recommend. Thanks again.