1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Basics

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Ahuber, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Ahuber

Ahuber New commenter

Hello,
    I am a bit confused with all the required paperwork to apply for a teaching position. Am I correct in assuming in addition to the cover letter, and CV I also need a personal statement and E.S.? This seems like a huge amount of redundancy. Additionally, can anyone point me to a resource for advice on what employers are looking for in a personal statement and E.S.? I have yet to see someone request an E.S. but it is mentioned in threads on this site very often. I am from the US and the application process is much easier there making this a bit confusing.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there! Hope you are enjoying being over this side of the pond. :)

First thing . . .

First things first - you DO have a visa which allows you to work in the UK? That's the main stumbling block to get over!

Secondly - you do have QTS, don't you?

Teachers from abroad looking for jobs in England

Those two are the most basic application basics for you.

But assuming that that is all dealt with . . .

Absolutely not!

Firstly the cover letter (properly known as the letter of application) is the same as a supporting statement; one starts Dear Dr Griffiths, the other doesn't.

Secondly, Statutory Guidance to maintained schools is not to accept CVs, so unless a maverick school specifically asks for one, you should not send it.

They are looking for you to show that you meet their requirements as set out in their Job Description and/or Personal Specification.

Down on the Jobseekers Forum (scroll down the forums list to find it) I can give you more advice. Here are a couple of articles that may help.

Letter of application for a teaching job

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job

Best wishes