1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application asks for details of 'extra-curricular activities & outside interests'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dominant_tonic, Jan 24, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Never come across (hate using that word - I cannot remember using it without having to look up the spelling first!! I hate it)this one before.
    How much info do they want? I have put four things in bullet points. For a secondary music post.
    • Accompany a mixed voice choir for rehearsals, concerts and tours both in UK and abroad
    • Play percussion in a brass band.
    (Both outside intersts but important musicky type things to point out.
    • Working towards silver mounatin navigation award. (totally unrelated).
    • learning sign language (loosely related)
    What do we think? Apprpriate or not????
    Thanks for all your help, domton

2. dominant_tonic

Never come across (hate using that word - I cannot remember using it without having to look up the spelling first!! I hate it)this one before.
    How much info do they want? I have put four things in bullet points. For a secondary music post.
    • Accompany a mixed voice choir for rehearsals, concerts and tours both in UK and abroad
    • Play percussion in a brass band.
    (Both outside intersts but important musicky type things to point out.
    • Working towards silver mounatin navigation award. (totally unrelated).
    • learning sign language (loosely related)
    What do we think? Apprpriate or not????
    Thanks for all your help, domton

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Could you add: Would be interested in helping with your DoE team
    Could you add: This can be a popular lunch-time or after-school Club
    If I saw those two things on an application, I would wonder about the second bit, so make it explicit: IF IT IS TRUE for you. If you wouldn't do either of these things, then don't say it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. dominant_tonic

Thanks Theo. That clears it up for me. yes the second bit is true lol, so will add some detail. I can't believe people would ever lie about it - it would be the law of Mr Sod himself that on the panel would be a signer with a deaf relative or something.
    Brill, all done and ready to go. Will make the changes you have suggested, and clarify the sign language.
    Thanks Theo for your prompt reply, am emailing it by twelve (have 2 hours supply starting at one, and was just hanging on for an answer!

Thank you.

5. dominant_tonic

Tried to edit the closed barcket I left out.
    Also wanted to say that your post did make me chuckle, as if you knew what I looked like it would be the first one you were dubious about, and totally believe the second one knowing how much I talk with my hands when not signing:)

Thanks again, another one sent, and fingers crossed. :)

6. Good Luck DT!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And have a good afternoon!
    (I'm with Year 4 for next hour)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com