1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application as 'internal candidate'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by skybluepink33, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I am working at a school for the rest of the year - I was asked to take the position after doing 3 days a week there as an agency supply teacher - then offered a full time KS2 job from Nov - xmas and then asked to continue working with the class; on a temporary contract until the summer - from the school itself.

There are 2 full time permanent jobs coming up from September and I have been asked to apply.

It does feel a bit weird - doing it as an internal candidate and means I can't really ask the head etc for advice and I haven't had an interview for a very long time.

Could anyone share their experience and tips if you've been in this situation.

2. I am working at a school for the rest of the year - I was asked to take the position after doing 3 days a week there as an agency supply teacher - then offered a full time KS2 job from Nov - xmas and then asked to continue working with the class; on a temporary contract until the summer - from the school itself.

There are 2 full time permanent jobs coming up from September and I have been asked to apply.

It does feel a bit weird - doing it as an internal candidate and means I can't really ask the head etc for advice and I haven't had an interview for a very long time.

Could anyone share their experience and tips if you've been in this situation.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Theo will probably give you more advice, but I'd say the rule of thumb is: apply as if you were an external candidate, i.e. be absolutely exlicit and detailed and take nothing for granted about the head's knowledge of your work.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, one of the major failings of internal candidates is that:
    a) They think They know what I do, I don't have to spell it out. And so they undersell themselves in both the application and the interview
    b) They feel reluctant to say what they do, because they fear it looks like boasting.
    So treat this application exactly as though you were applying to another school who doesn't know you at all. Be highly professional in all aspects of your application, ensure that you read all the advice on here about writing applications, and take heart in the fact that they have already shown that they value you.
    (But don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's a done deal!)
    Here's a summary of the advice in a reply to another poster:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com