1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Pepper78, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

I'm in the process of finalising a settlement agreement and in need of some advice from @TheoGriff. I've followed your advice about departure dates etc but I'm going to have three handicaps when I start applying for new jobs: an agreed reference, long term absence with work related stress and then of course I'll be unemployed at the point of applying. My question is how do I present this in a letter of application? I can't just ignore of course, but can't tell the full story because I'll be gagged by the agreement. What would you suggest? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well this is a bit of a pickle for me, you know, when I don't know anything either! But here are some basic suggestions:

The absence can be dealt with by saying - I am assuming that this is true, never copy me is what I suggest if it is NOT true for you - something like this: Having successfully overcome a period of work-related illness, I believe that I am now well equipped with coping strategies and able to deal effectively with the normal stresses of teaching life.

The unemployed bit - get work with supply agencies and then put under current post Supply work in schools such as X and Y

The agreed ref - get work with supply, and build up a reputation so that you can ask another school to provide a reference.

Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S. You have seen all the applications advice in the professional ADvice Hub?

4. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

Yes thanks Theo. I'll get on to the supply.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)