1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Count_Magus, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I have sent off countless job applications (I really have lost count now!) and not a single one has resulted in an interview. I am beginning to despair of ever getting a job. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I have a feeling it might have something to do with my unconventional employment history...
    After my PGCE I worked at an international school in France for two years. When I returned to the UK in 2007 it was to do an MA in European Classical Acting, having decided I no longer wanted to teach and that I would give acting a go. After the MA, I enrolled with a few supply agencies with the intention of supply-teaching alongside my acting work. Between October 2008 and July 2010 I worked as a day-to-day supply teacher on and off and did two consecutive long-term teaching jobs (September 09 to February 10 then March 10 to July 10). After the second long-term job, I stopped supply teaching for a year to concentrate solely on acting (and because I was no longer allowed to do day-to-day supply having exceeded the 16-month limit for teachers who have yet to complete their statutory induction). I returned to teaching in September of last year for a term-long maternity cover post (which I was allowed to do because it contributed to my induction). I am not currently in any school, having finished the maternity cover in January.
    If you're still with me, thanks for your patience. Here comes my question. It has been suggested to me that employers are not interested in me because my employment history, short-term school jobs interspersed with acting, makes me look like an unreliable job-hopper. If this is true, I really don't know how to get around it. I really, really want to get back into teaching. I realized at my last post what a terrible mistake I made ever leaving the profession and that I'm a really good teacher, when given the chance. Has anyone got any ideas about how I can put a positive spin on my employment history? I am absolutely at my wits' end and I don't know what to do.

2. katerina_78

katerina_78 New commenter

You have probably heard this before, but it's really about tailoring your application to suit the school...look really carefully at the job and person spec and look at what the job is too...are they expanding and improving the profile of the department for example and then tailor what you have to offer to them, making you irrestible to them!
    The TES offer great services, looking at CVs, weekend workshops and these are great for meeting people too. Maybe worth looking at...
    You don't have to have had a perfect employment history, you just need to be able to justify why this was right for you and why it's right for them too.
    Don't know if this will help, but it will work out in the end.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tricky issue, but I have a suggestion. Well, two really.
    Firstly, I know that you mustn't lie or omit things in your employment history, but I wonder if you couldn't scramble together the period when you were doing bits of supply - not the long-term stuff - and instead of putting it down individually, group it as, e.g. Sept 2009 - July 2011, various Supply Teaching posts - full details available on request. This will stop it looking quite so bitty.
    The second suggestion is that you do what Katerina above did - go to one of the Win That Teaching Job weekend workshops - she's just got herself a job from it!
    S100. Winning That Teaching Job – Saturday 28h April - Making the best of your application – How to make sure your application gets noticed - How to shine at Interview
    Presented by Helen Beckett and Lynne Johnson
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop100.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes