1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Application advice for an American.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jwkeaton91, Mar 27, 2019.

1. jwkeaton91

jwkeaton91 New commenter

I will receive my QTS this April and have 3 years of teaching experience in English and Social Studies in the US as well as a year studying at a UK university. I have applied to over 25 jobs over the last 4 months and have not heard back from any of the schools. I am not sure what I am doing wrong I have a well written and detailed personal statement and experience. I have applied to multiple school types in different areas of the country as well as schools across the range of Ofsted reports. Any suggestions for what I can do different or something new I should try? Thanks so much for any help!

2. arvynbraich

arvynbraich New commenter

My recommendation is to apply to teach online.[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]and makes more money than I do at a school in the UK. They offer online classes for children and adults at all age levels. He also makes his own schedule and makes from £18-25 an hour. If you are dead set on working at a school in the UK, your best bet is to get in touch with a supply agency and work with them until you learn more about planning and delivering lessons using the national curriculum. The issue that my husband has is that when he applied at primary schools in the UK, they would never call him back because of curriculum differences between the UK and the USA. So, your best bet is to do some supply teaching and learn a little more about the national curriculum. If you are interested in online teaching, which I do for supplementary income and my husband does full time,
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]