1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

application abbreviations query

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by jennimcgarraghy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. jennimcgarraghy

jennimcgarraghy New commenter

Evening all. I'm applying for jobs and have (in prior applications) been asked for DfE Teacher reference number and DBS number, but this one asks me for my GTC ref number and DCSF ref number - can anyone shed any light on what these are? I'm currently teacher training so have my DfE and DBS numbers, but that's it.

Cheers in advance.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That tells me that the school doesn't update its application forms very often!

DCSF [Department for Children Schools and Families] was the previous name of the DfE [Department for Education]. It changed to DfE in 2010. So give your DfE Teacher Reference Number.

GTC [General Teaching Council for England] was abolished on 31st March 2012. Prior to 2012 teachers had to register with the GTC and were given a GTC number. GTC was not replaced and since 2012 teachers have not had to register with anyone and so there is now no such thing as a 'GTC reference number'. Leave it blank. I am assuming you are in England. There is still a GTC in Scotland.

Asking for a DBS [Disclosure and Barring Service] number on an application form is an odd request. The DBS do not give numbers to individuals, you personally do not and cannot have a "DBS number" that will always identify you. What happens is that when you apply for a DBS Disclosure that certificate will have a DBS Disclosure certificate number which applies to that certificate only. Next time you apply for new DBS Disclosure the certificate will have a different number. As the school will require you to apply for a new DBS Disclosure if they appoint you there doesn't seem to be much point in asking for your current DBS certificate number. But if they have asked just put down the number of your most recent DBS Disclosure certificate. It won't help them in the slightest but at least the box on their application form will be ticked!

3. jennimcgarraghy

jennimcgarraghy New commenter

Thanks, this has helped. Yes I'm in England.