1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

application 45 essentials : 2 desirables?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by wubbish, Nov 30, 2017.

1. wubbish

wubbish New commenter

Hi, I'm trying to write a supporting statement for an application of SENCo. Everything I read states that I should address all essential criteria on the person spec. There are 45 essentials and only 2 desirables.

HELP!

Should I bunch them up in order to address or go from the much shorter list from the original advert?

Many thanks

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

wubbish likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would group some together and leave out naff things like 'sense of humour' and the like.

You should do what the instructions ask...

wubbish likes this.
  4. wubbish

wubbish New commenter

Thanks, nice to have that confirmed! x

5. dts

dts Occasional commenter

It sounds like a badly written person spec to me - as if they have looked at everything their current SENCO does, and just listed it all as essential.

I would agree that bunching them together is the way forwards - if they really want something along the lines of "I meet essential number 37 because..." then you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You just need to explain why you are a suitable candidate for the role, referencing past achievements and the PS/JD where relevant....