1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applicant wasting your time

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Aquasheriff, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Aquasheriff

Aquasheriff New commenter

I was wondering if many of you have experienced advertising a job, showing candidates round, short-listing and informing candidates to then be informed they may not attend as they think the money isn't good enough! From a handful of appropriate candidates it looks like I am down to one who has a determined intention to get the job. I suspect I may need to re-advertise which has a huge impact on the job, governors and is so time consuming. What are your experiences and how have you dealt with this?

2. Interview the determined candidate, it's not their fault others are letting you down. Did you forget to advertise the salary? I've never seen an advert that doesn't mention it somewhere...
    I would be glad they'd messed me about now to be honest, rather than after I'd appointed them.
    Good luck.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

They sound great! Unless they have been breaking the legs of other applicants in order to improve their chances they haven't done anything wrong, so interview them... might save you the expense and hassle of hunting out more shredder fodder.

4. No problem interviewing a shortlist of 1. But don't persuade yourself that this is the right candidate because you are concerned about the hassle of re-advertising. That would be the wrong basis for the decision.

5. We have had quite a few candidates drop out over the past terms for different posts (teaching & support staff roles). Annoying, since a shortlist of 5 invited to interview can quickly drop to only 2 who show up.
    We had one post recently where 6 CVs arrived, 4 candidates were invited to interview, 2 turned up & one dropped out during the interview day. Hobson's choice!
    Another where about 10 CVs arrived, 5 invited to interview, 3 turned up - one of whom was the 'acting / temporary' encumbent so he had to be in the building anyway!
    I think some people apply on a speculative / opportunistic whim & then gradually realise, as the date draws nearer that the job is not really what they are looking for.

6. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

It's the ones whose mothers phone after they've been short listed to tell you they are on holiday at the moment and can they be interviewed on a different day that are annoying me at the minute. Then when you explain that it isn't possible to arrange the interviews to accommodate their holidays you get the candidate sending begging emails

Fancy going on holiday in prime recruitment time. Do they not think! I'm afraid this candidate got a very terse email reply pointing out that her first priority should be securing a post not a week in the sun.

7. I have withdrawn from many jobs over the years usually because the head or the process was ridiculous or pompous.
    Once I received an invitation to interview, the letter was along the lines of
    You will report to reception, you will produce your details, at 9.30 you will be led into the class blah blah it felt it was written by a robot.
    Another one told me that if I was succesful following the lesson observation of 10 minutes(I would then proceed to the interview stage). Also the head would give me feed back on my strengths and areas for improvement-10 MINUTES!!!!!!!!
    Another who invited me to interview wanted to see me teaching in my own setting-they phoned up 3 times to ask for directions-Buy an A-Z you ***.
    Observed once in a school that was so dirty I withdrew before the interview.
    Once invited to teach a reception class for an hour-It just doesn't work like that in reception. How could I possibly know what their continuous provision was.
    In one for a more senior post all the candidates were meant to sit and debate an issue attempting to score points of each other.
    These and so many more I have withdrawn from. No regrets and never without work.
    May be some of you moaning on here should look to your recruitment process.

8. QFE

QFE New commenter

I'm inclined to agree, BrainJim.

9. There is also the person description that demands that one is a 'little star'. Basically the male heirachy wanted a cute young blonde teacher to gawp at and perve over.

10. So true

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As you can imagine, philosophical, that's never been a key concern when I've been recruiting.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How do you know?
    Best wishes

13. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Candidates need to think carefully over their choice of 'outfits' for interview. I certainly wasn't impressed recently with the candidate who's dress was so short it left very little to the imagination when she sat down. I was looking for an outstanding teacher but...

14. Did you get an outstanding teacher's but?

15. Yeah but you're one of the good guys...mind you, you use the phrase 'key concern'.......

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I see you're in hair-splitting mode - what people look like or what their gender/age/sexuality happens to be is of no concern (apart from where a male or female PE teacher is required) to me. I've always just hoped to identify which candidate might be the best teacher.

17. BrainJim's point covers many of the problems in recruitment.

Teachers are well educated, post graduate, police cleared and when carefully nurtured become worth their weight in gold. It can be appalling how they are treated at interview, during Ofsted and by many students these days.

Increasingly I meet staff looking to change profession because they are not allowed to do their job properly. Too much red tape and crazy initiatives designed to boost the performance management profile of senior leaders but actually have a negative impact in classrooms.Applicants often hear about this in advance but want to see for themselves

The education system is not a machine, teachers are very special people who are increasingly feeling undervalued. If they withdraw from interview look at your process, remuneration, job description and establishment.

18. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

Hear hear!

19. Well said.
    What I fail to understand is why some senior leaders don't seem to understand that valuing and developing good teachers, is actually good for them and the school, and the children, and the teachers! It's a win-win situation! There are of course poor teachers, but they shouldn't ruin it for those who do do a good job.
    Some interviews I have experienced have felt nothing short of demeaning. Some have made me feel valued and professional.