1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Applicant Statement Desparate Help !! Dear Sage

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bod750, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dear Sage,

I am an NQT who has successfully passed the 1st Term, looking for a school to complete my Induction and take on responsibilities. I have found my 'dream job' but to date all the other jobs I have applied for I have not even got shortlisted for. What am I doing wrong? I follow the Person Specification and provide evidence and demonstrate each one.

Can you please steer me to somebody who will sort me out so that I can continue my teaching career and become involved into Dyscalulia and drive this forward in primary schools as being as important as dyslexia.

Regards

J Bodiam

2. Dear Sage,

I am an NQT who has successfully passed the 1st Term, looking for a school to complete my Induction and take on responsibilities. I have found my 'dream job' but to date all the other jobs I have applied for I have not even got shortlisted for. What am I doing wrong? I follow the Person Specification and provide evidence and demonstrate each one.

Can you please steer me to somebody who will sort me out so that I can continue my teaching career and become involved into Dyscalulia and drive this forward in primary schools as being as important as dyslexia.

Regards

J Bodiam

3. mflnqt

mflnqt New commenter

Its a matter of keep going im afraid. Make sure that what you write makes you stand out from the crowd! They have to have the impression of yes I want to see this candidate in action.
    Make sure you use the information the school provide to help you with your statement for example if the school is a faith school, how do you feel about that? how could you incorporate the school faith into your everyday teaching and not just at RE times.
    I would stay clear of sounding to over ambitious in your statment i.e don't be saying things like I am looking for responsabilities and want to make Dyscalculia as prominent as dyslexia in your statement as this could come across as too cocky.
    Also, on forum posts on here I would refrain from signing your name as many teachers use TES they may see your name on here and then again on the application form which wouldn't bode well. Always remain anonymous on forums.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

All great advice from mflnqt.
    Have you had a look over at the Jobseekers forum? Are you using an Executive Summary? If you don't know what that is then defo worth coming over and reading the Welcome thread [​IMG].

5. I suspect that you are not doing much wrong, sometimes it is a question of being at the right job at the right time. You will get excellent advice from Theogriff who runs the jobseekers forum and the TES does offer a careers clinic forum run by John Howson as well as a careers advice service:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6060674
    The Sage