1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apple certified educator or Google Certified Educator for international schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marilyn2, Aug 6, 2019.

1. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi there,
    I was just wondering if anyone out there has become either an Apple certified educator or Google Certified Educator Level 1 or 2? If so do you think it’s worth doing it for becoming more appealing to international schools?

It seems quite a few hours investment of time so wanted to check what your experiences are.

It seems all the schools I’ve worked at use different IT systems so no idea which is the best.

Many thanks for your time
    M

2. TeacherMan2019

TeacherMan2019 New commenter

You can do both Google levels in a day if you're somewhat comfortable with basic cloud computing principles. Kind of a pain, but I'm no tech genius and I passed on first try.

I have no idea about Apple. Personally I find the Gsuite for education way ahead of anything Apple or Microsoft have to offer.

Not sure how big a deal it is to schools either.

3. Interista

Interista New commenter

It can't hurt to have them. As already said above the google one is straight forward. If you're competent with a computer you probably won't need to go through all of the training. I did all of them in a couple of hours one evening.
    My school is a google school and so they pay for staff. I'm not sure how bothered they are but I've found Heads to not know very much about this kind of thing when interviewing and seem to be easily impressed by any computing skills.

4. GemmaK3

GemmaK3 New commenter

Can you share the links to do these as I’d like to do them.
    Many thanks.

5. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

We use Google stuff. I'd hazard a guess that Google is slightly more prevalent than Apple, simply because Google is 'platform agnostic', whereas Apple stuff is platform specific.

I've done the L1 training, but haven't sat the certificate yet. I need to find a few hours to sit down and do it. The training isn't onerous, and most of the useful stuff I already knew. There was a heap stuff I didn't know and I'm never going to use (eg using 'Hangouts' to connect with students outside of class time to help with homework).

If nothing else, it demonstrates to potential employees that you are willing to learn new stuff and develop your skills, as I am assured the Google Certificates are 'cv-able'.. Or something.

migratingbird likes this.
  6. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Either google 'Google for Education' or click here

GemmaK3 likes this.
  7. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've done both. The Apple one is really easy to achieve, and if you use the basic Google apps regularly then you won't need to sit through the training, just go straight to the exam. As others above have said, it doesn't hurt to have them and it's not very time consuming if you're using them anyway. I'll hopefully find out if it makes a difference when I start the job search again this year!

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It can't hurt, but I doubt it will make you a more attractive candidate

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Google would be no use in China but a great many schools pay "premium" to use Apple computers and software.

You will see this on the school website and in some job description about been familiar with Apple hardware and Software.

10. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

T0nyGT likes this.
  11. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Looks like it won’t hurt the cv to get both of them

12. GemmaK3

GemmaK3 New commenter

Thank you.