1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appeasement as a behaviour management strategy

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Dec 24, 2019.

1. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I think this thread has gone somewhat off thread!

blazer likes this.
  2. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Don't engage mate. The more you do the more they'll spew. Leave it.

3. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

LOL! I don't think anyone was spewing anything. Just making a statement that someone obviously didn't like. But as for discipline in schools, that is significant concern that appears to be getting worse because no one is addressing it. When I did supply teaching last year and had to call for support because I could not get a word in because of constantly being interrupted or bottles being hurled across the classroom, all that occured was basic humouring of the students, that is, if someone bothered to show up.

Never will I forget sending a rude and aggressive year eight student out of the classroom, only to have someone turn up saying, please excuse Maddie because she is upset because she used her mother's credit card to charge £800 pounds worth of credit to her phone which caused a major uproar in her home. I kid you not, my mouth dropped. This was at a village secondary school close to where I live. When I did long term supply at a nearby Catholic secondary school, students took my picture and uploaded it onto school laptops. No one did anything about it. So, if schools can't get the staff, they need to look what is going on and what is being allowed to happen in their schools.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Lol.When one of those whom I call 'the keeper of secrets' (usually non teaching pastoral support/behaviour patrol) tells me a kid has a lot going on at home (obviously I can't be privy to the details). I imagine a bereavement or custody issues. Not a load of c**p the child their self created due to their obsession with their mobile phone!

agathamorse, SineField and abwdSTEM like this.
  5. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Ah yes that ol' chesnut.... aka This child gets a 'Get out of jail free' card.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

A terrifying truth if there ever is one.....

SLT isolate and cocoon themselves in their own lovely bubble by

a) Making the admin of formally disciplining children so onerous that teachers don't bother and manage them in class..... which in turn makes the SLT look good in terms of 'the stats'

b) 'Empower the children' by turning them into spies, ever willing to grass on teachers to their parents and SLT for perceived wrong doings...... which now means the teachers are constantly treading on egg shells for fear of a disciplinary issue going onto their records.

------ > The masses are now compliant and the politburo can now relax in peace with their grossly disproportionate pay cheques and 0.2 TT.

If only the average teacher would wake up and smell the coffee, instead of reading the Guardian and calling Tories 'Nazis' :confused:

I've always said that 1984 and Animal Farm are not only 2 of the greatest pieces of literature ever written but the perfect way to educate yourself about the realities and insidious nature of leftist political systems.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

trolls. whos that trip trapping over my bridge? it was a goat, the greatest of all time. capricorn. the time of the goat

a1976 likes this.
  8. freshfriesan

thats democracy kiddo, the people choosing what they wish to choose whether it be influenced by a media whos influenced by money etc etc, and my feeling is trump got in on the entertainement factor, perhaps boris did, when yer faced with greedy lying bsatrd bore 1 or bore 2, well , the peopel choose the laffs, the entertainemnt factor. theres a thing bothered me during my flirtations with the fringe left back in the day, it was their complete a#lack of humour, total lack of humour, nosense of fun, everything a serious matter and a vote to be taken on every simple decision so they can whine when theydont get their own way in split off into yet more fractions of factions, exponential decay is it? how many far left factions have been created over x number of half lifes ...following the laws of radio active decay, or a cancer tumour growing. gotta love a bit of science.

a1976 likes this.
  9. freshfriesan

keepsers of the secrets, the ones that get paid all day to sit in an office gossiping with kids, and may be delegated to do an on call duty or isolation stint when the management are too lazy to come out of their offices, or may be ha ha they are teaching a lesson.

the one place i showed up as the supply and 3 or 4 kidswould whip out passes that said we go to a hub when theres supply. it begged the question, what the school is letting kids get away with during suppy that would warrant ths, some of the pass holders were your typical trier ons, but there were others that clearly werent able to cope in a very chaotic environment. i know what some of the kids in that school were like during cover lessons, i didnt like being in the room with them, but why werent they addressing the need to create such a pass? thats where i took the prison improvised knife of the kid and the deputy head lied to me, told me on a fri afternoon the kid had done a day in isolation, who was in my first monday morning lesson? i needed the money till christmas so i couldnt go snitch on her for lying and who would you snitch to anyway? well, maybe its not too late to snitch. theyre horrible places. ive never been able to stand them colleagues that want to know everything about the kids and makes# excuses for them. no one made excuses for me as a kid, didnt want them too. nothing wrong with a bit of study. thats what the kids need to realise and these do badders are going against this for the sake of gossip and popularity contests. they are very petty places and they arent safe as i see it.. safeguarding a wonderfully vague catch all kind of term to excuse anything they want to do in a school and anything they want to ignore. places arent about learning anymore, they areall to do with safeguarding

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  10. freshfriesan

i think im just gonna write a kill bill list. all things being fair and considered with the malpractice, bullying and unprofessionalism ive seen go on and been effected by. best was the observations where the observer may as well have said "the kids were too well behaved and too interested in what you had to say" was never a big talky talky teacher, but the one obs it suited what i was doing, kids rarely would listen to e so long anyways, who could blame em, but they were hanging on everyword and it was nothing to do with mr ineffectual authority asst ead being in the room. yeah, leaders playing follow the leader. unable to use his own professional judgement and go "yes, that was great , i cant tick all these ofsted boxes but its clear you can teach so im goonna tick em all anyway, thank you, i enjoyed that lesson adthekids clearly did too" these idiots are hypocrites. they go on about not letting kids fail yet they set ther own staff up to fail .im like prince harry, im saying i will no longer be tied by your awful codes and way of life im off to find my own fotting far awayfrom you horrible hypocrites.

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

In my NQT year, I was invited to such an appeasement meeting chaired by a non-teaching HoY with my HOD in attendance. I walked out of the meeting within 1-2 minutes of it commencing on the ground that I find it condescending. Right there, I announced my willingness to walk out on the school. The student in question was withdrawn from my teaching group and put in the HODs group. A lot happens in schools these days that undermines teachers’ authority and it’s an absolute shame.

agathamorse and lovejoy_antiques like this.
  12. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Wow, from what you describe I think I am currently working at the same hell hole! Time out cards issued for anyone fed up of disrupting the lesson and wishing to disturb the whole corridor, and passes to get out of supply teacher lessons given out left right and centre. Unless lots of places are run along the same lines!

agathamorse likes this.
  13. freshfriesan

either its the same place or the school leaders are all graduates of the "common purpose" schools of training, leading beyond authority, the same bunch that are training the x r rebels in their "beyond democracy" thinking. blessed be im not in any of these hell holes any more. i couldnts stomach going with the xr thunberg climate strike the world is on fire, back in the say the schools used to be set on fire, i never used to understand why. now i do. i did get banded from doing practical lessons once coz a kid stole a lighter...it was nice of the management to get the sci tech to inform me of their decision. so much **** i put up with. there must have been something wrong with me. yes its a miracle i did the best part of 20years . supply became too precarious to rely on. universal credit is more reliable income source now.