1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appeasement as a behaviour management strategy

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Dec 24, 2019.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Truly shocking jolly.

2. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

It's such a shame that restorative justice is being used in this way. I worked in one school (primary) that was big on the restorative approach but it was mostly used for issues between pupils (occasionally whole class when one or two pupils had done something which upset or impacted on the whole class) and it was actually a big help in helping the pupils learn how to navigate and deal with difficult situations constructively (most of them did not grow up in the kind of home environments where they would encounter positive models of arguing)

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

So true.

I recall a school where the teacher who had been sworn at and threatened was asked to attend a 'restorative' meeting. The outcome of this was supposed to be that the student would not be isolated and the teacher (victim) was supposed to accept all apologies.

However, the teacher (rightly imo) declared they did not want to do a 'restorative' meeting and wanted the student to be sanctioned. Sadly, that teacher was then informed they had to attend the 'restorative' (in their break so not to disturb lessons) because that was new the school rules. Needless to say the teacher gave in and attended. However, they did not accept the student apology and wanted positive actions from the student rather than words. The teacher however was informed they had to accept the apology.

Needless to say eventually all student behaviour got worse round the school. And teachers simply decided not to use the weak behaviour system or report poor behaviour. SMT tried to then argue behaviour was improving because there were less reports.

Many teachers eventually left ( due to poor behaviour and a poor behaviour system).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I worked in a Somerset school (secondary) which had a very weak HT who believed in restorative justice as a mean of behaviour management, the school's catchment area included a "rough patch" and a number of students didn't respond to this approach. As a consequence the school was a disaster; beahaviour was the worst I ever seen, achievement was very low, many contracted teachers left after a short while and very few supply teachers would go there (even some who knew the place only by word of mouth),

But then the school moved into a new building along with a new Head. This new Head was younger and a local lad. He was also more "streetwise" and took no nonsense. Restorative justice was replaced with a "single warning and then you are removed" system which was enforced every time and SLT stood at the one and only main entrance every morning to issue sanctions for lateness/poor uniform/etc.

The school turned around within months from the worst in the area to one of the best. But its reputation wasn't so easy to deal with and it remained "damaged goods" for years afterwards.

5. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

I think restorative justice is great for KS2 if only used between peers, with consequences and with a PHSE slant. Has worked well for bullying. Have had several situations where a child with poor vocab and a bit behind socially lashes out. After low level, but dripping tap, digs.
    For me. what happened, as an intro really works And why.Makes the accuser have to listen and respond. Even if its no comment. So why did he/she hit you?
    Send accused away. So I noticed that,( other snide forms of bullying) Have you fallen out? Etc. Was that a nice thing to do?
    Essentially I have my own agenda sometimes I know But would hate to see a victim victimised again. So perp gets the school policy punishment (because violence is wrong) and "victims" know I'm on to them and have been all the time.
    Kids really should have learnt right from wrong by KS3

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Flapwell: As you said, Restorative Justice might work in disputes between students but when it it used between students and staff, it is a disaster.

BetterNow, agathamorse and install like this.
  7. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Absolutely..... its part of the rotten core of modern education. Make the disciplinary process so painful for teachers that they don't go through with it and just muddle through in class... SLT sit back, don't have to do anything and can also point at 'the figures and stats' and show how few discipline problems the school has, and how ergo they as the SLT are doing such a great job!!

Unfortunately, because of these type of antics the students now feel that they rule the roost..... discipline problems increase and the cycle of ridiculousness goes round and round..... however, in many cases OFSTED turns up and then the truth is revealed!

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Errr…. which truth is revealed?
    If SLT can hide away in their offices then they can used this 'gained time' to do what they do best
    "Making sure SLT looks good for OFSTED"
    My last inspection (whilst long-term supply) had, hitherto invisible, SLT suddenly on the corridors and the report consequently managed to say
    Management: Good
    Everything else: Requires improvement.
    There was the benefit that behaviour was unaccountably good, given the catchment area, so maybe individual SLT could justify their invisibility but I bet they were never asked!

BetterNow and install like this.
  9. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Poor behaviour across the school (staff and students) leads to teacher resignations. Due to poor reputation, supply teachers will not go to the schools where teacher recruitment is a struggle, which seems to be in virtually every school. If so many teachers leave, who is going to teach the kids. Will the system crash and burn and we start from scratch? Maybe this is a good thing.

10. SineField

Well all I'm going by is personal experiences and word on the grapevine...

I've personally been in 2 schools where there have been bad behaviour probs, 'appeasement strategies', but the SLT were pointing at stats saying otherwise... OFSTED turned up, interviewed staff and observed some horror lessons and soon came to the opposite conclusion! As well, a significant part of OFSTEDs current remit is looking at SLT salaries and how these are justified.

bramblesarah and JohnJCazorla like this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Absolutely agree.

I recall some schools some time past where prior to Ofsted a 'Crib Answer Sheet' was printed off for all staff so that when Ofsted triangulated all feedback would match. Needless to say, in one I also recall slt tracking the movement of Ofsted inspectors and walking slightly ahead to keep corridors clear and quiet of students.

All a 'shop window' where the wrong image is kept up in some schools to give an impression that slt are engaged ...

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I know of a school in Manchester in which they operate the restorative justice system and they have never passed an ofsted inspection to my knowledge (would not even you payed the inspectors), behaviour is poor and it was a school that I generally got with the students. but I will not set foot in the school anymore. This system does not work, teachers are powerless, the good students education is slowly being destroyed, the kids who misbehave are taking the p*ss, because they pretend to feel sorry for the their behaviour (when they do not give a fig) and the SLT (who are weak, liberal and out of touch) think the school and students are good. The message those in believe in restorative justice are passing on to the students is that there are no serious consequences for poor behaviour, which makes the students unprepared for life and the consequences of anti-social behaviour in the real world, and to some extents sets the students up to fail in life. Sadly the SLT team keeps their jobs and carries on regardless with their mistaken policy.

13. SineField

Leftie ideology 101.... pure 1970s USSR/Corbyinsta

It doesn't matter what the state of existence is for the masses, those with the power keep on living the life because they are in a system that doesn't look at meritocracy, merely your capacity to say yes to whatever nonsense is spewed out....

I have never understood why anyone would be politically left.... history shows that it always ends up with the same hellhole for the masses.

agathamorse and a1976 like this.
  14. Canteloube

Canteloube New commenter

15. Canteloube

Canteloube New commenter

I think history would show that there is no perfect political system and that democracy at least offers hope of change whatever political party is in power. Whatever you think of Tony Blair personally (I know history has not been kind to him so far) he managed to negotiate a peace treaty in Northern Ireland which no other political leader before him had the will or inclination to do. I think it came from his "Leftie ideology" so it is probably not fair to condemn all left leaning thinkers as condemning the masses to a hell hole!

16. SineField

In todays terms, Blair would be described as a 'Centrist' or maybe a 'Classic liberal'..... his leftie tendencies were manifested in his allegiance to the EU, but broadly speaking he tried to position himself in the middle, hence the phrase 'New Labour'.

Now Gordon Brown on the other hand.......

a1976 likes this.
  17. a1976

To be honest, I am extremely concerned about the significant left wing presence in our schools. i have actually spoken with some former teachers who seem to think that perhaps having a website that outs left wing teachers who are making it a point to further their political agenda and indoctrinating young people. In the US, there are such organisations as 'left watch' and Professor Watch list that is sponsored by Turning Point USA that allows people do denounce, named and shame professors. Perhaps such as system needs to be in place here in the UK for teachers. What about a website similar to ratemyteacher only gear it towards schools? Also, having teachers sign a loyalty oath to the UK would be a good thing as well.

18. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

I am very concerned about hard right trolls making quasi fascistic suggestions on TES in order to deal with a problem that exists only in their heads. Maybe some sort of register of right wing organisations needs to be created, and the posters need to sign an oath of empathy, decency and humanity before being allowed online.

richardmthompson1 and bajan like this.
  19. SineField

My god... I'm guessing you're a science teacher by your username... shame on you......

Yet again another ignoramus that puts the word fascist in the same sentence as "hard-right" having clearly not a clue what either of those terms refer to..... let me guess, you think Hitler was "hard-right" don't you? You're someone who doesn't see the hilarious irony/hypocrisy of Antifa activists? Someone that doesn't laugh when they see someone declaring themselves to be an anarchist AND a communist on some ridiculous rally?
    And also you are equating right wing politics with a lack of empathy, decency and humanity..... hmmmm.... I'm guessing your history knowledge is pretty sub par.... you might want to investigate the realities of life for the masses under these benevolant, utopian left wing regimes that seem to exist in your brain?

Inform yourself with reality and not utopian, brainwashed gibberish...... but then again, that is probably asking too much.... like 99% of teachers you really have no clue.

bramblesarah, agathamorse and a1976 like this.
  20. a1976

I guess Physicsfanboy has never heard of Stalin.

agathamorse likes this.