1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Apparently I'm not a qualified teacher...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by missjivebunny, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    I am in an administrative mess and looking to see if anyone has had the same experience.

    I qualified in 2007, completed induction in 2008. Progressed up the payscale normally to M6. Left my job in 2014 and spent a year elsewhere. I've just signed up for a supply agency, and when they did an NCTL trace on me, it showed that I never completed my NQT year.

    I rang the NCTL straight away and the directed me to my LA record keeping office, who also have no record of me passing induction.

    This is massively complicated by the fact the school I taught in became part of an academy federation, with a whole new SLT, and even a new LA. The school have all my HR paperwork but can't find any of my observations or the paperwork that was completed during my NQT year. I know it was done because I remember what was written, and I remember completing my own against the teaching standards. I suspect my mentor never sent it off.

    I didn't receive a certificate, but stupidly, it never occurred to me that I was supposed to, and nobody ever mentioned it.

    As it is, I now can't work as a qualified teacher until it is resolved, and nobody knows what to do with me.

    Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do?

    Sorry for the lengthy post in personal, I wasn't sure where this fitted in!
  2. monicabilongame

    monicabilongame Star commenter

    Surely the school that employed you would have wanted confirmation of your having QTS?
    sabrinakat likes this.
  3. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Do you mean the job I moved on to? It was a private specialist college, they didn't check. They just accepted my uni certificates.
  4. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    This is what I have (cropped out my name). What I don't have is the second certificate, awarded after induction. Which I've never seen until I asked others in a panic and they showed me theirs.

    Attached Files:

  5. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    So presumably you don't have a 7 digit teacher reference number?

    Are you still in touch with anyone else who qualified from the same place at the same time? If so, do they have the right paperwork?

    Your query might be better off in the Workplace Dilemmas thread.
  6. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Yes I do, I cropped that out as well!
  7. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Out of about 5 of us who did our NQT years at the same time as each other, 2 of us are in the same situation.
  8. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    If you have a 7 digit teacher reference number and your NI number you should (in theory) be able to print a certificate after logging into this webpage. I just have for myself.


    I'm assuming that the reference number is still issued after qualifying - it's been a while since I got mine.
  9. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Thanks for your help MSB. I had a look on here as soon as this situation arose. I've taken a screenshot of what I can without showing personal information.
    As you can see, it says I have QTS but there is a blank space underneath induction. If my mentor never told the relevant people that I passed, I don't think the information will be held anywhere. image.jpg
  10. cissy3

    cissy3 Star commenter

    That looks interesting @magic surf bus surfbus!

    (I look forward to seeing a secret code signifying 'troublemaker'!)

    Best of luck @missjivebunny Sounds like a right ****-up.
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You CAN be employed as a qualified teacher as you have QTS from when you completed your PGCE.
    Evidence of passing Induction is a different issue.

    Induction is only needed to continue working in LA 5-16 education.
    Academies could employ you, as could Free schools and schools in the private sector. You can also be employed in State Post 16 education.

    You could work in LA schools as a Cover Supervisor.

    Were you not given copies of your various Induction term inspections?
    Can you track down any of the senior staff from your Induction school?

    You should also be contacting your Union.
  12. dominant_tonic

    dominant_tonic Established commenter

    MSB did you have to do induction after your PGCE/BEd? The teacher number is given upon receiving QTS, but you still need to complete induction after so many years (in England, no restriction in Wales).

    So, I could print off QTS evidence and teacher number, but after 2008 you need induction too.

    Sorry I can't be of help, apart from to say that yes, it looks like your induction has been logged. You'll have to ring in the morning and see what you can sort. Hell of a situation. Sorry :-(
  13. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    Oooh! My 'Induction status' says exempt! What does this mean????
    cissy3 likes this.
  14. cissy3

    cissy3 Star commenter

    I know I completed an Induction Year, (in the time when the dinosaurs roamed) but I don't think it was statutary in the same way as it is now. But I still have a bit of paper from the Lea stating that I'd passed.

    (In fact I've got another one too, for FE/Prison Ed)

    Rushes off to find teacher ref/no
  15. cissy3

    cissy3 Star commenter

    Same!!! And I've got the piece of paper!!!

    (Must be our age)
  16. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Thanks Jubilee. The supply agency require the evidence - they said I cannot have a new DBS check which states that I'm a teacher until they see that I passed induction.

    My Union just told me to ring the NCTL, which I already had. I'm hoping I'll have more luck with my local rep.
  17. dominant_tonic

    dominant_tonic Established commenter

    GDW you did yours before induction was mandatory :) Lucky you!

    I really hope the OP sorts it. SOUnds like necessary paperwork has not been submitted and no record of induction being passed. Hopefully they can complete it now, or mainstream schools are out - though with the rise of academies may not be uite so dire.

    Union, and suss out appeals procedure etc. Anyone know if the time restriction still stands in England?

    ALso OP, post this on Newly ualified teacher forum - loads of much more clued people over there that will know the score.
    missjivebunny and cissy3 like this.
  18. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Thanks DT, yes the 5 year limit still stands.
  19. missjivebunny

    missjivebunny New commenter

    Maybe I should just take this as a sign to leave teaching...
  20. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    I'm exempt from induction (class of '82), but I did a probationary year and my summary shows no details of the institution where I trained or my subjects, so the database would appear to be far from complete in some respects.

    If the OP is dealing with a Union, try pursuing it with a district secretary in the first instance, not a school rep. Contact details should be on the Union website.

    Good luck with the paper chase @missjivebunny
    cissy3 likes this.

Share This Page