1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Apparently I have an SEN child...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DollyD, Mar 11, 2011.

1. My husband was summoned into school this morning to see my daughter's teacher, She's in Reception and only just 5. She is bright and articulate but her teacher is concerned about her lack of concentration apparently hindering her progress. Having said this her report claimed that she was at expected EY levels, exceeding them in some areas, apart from the area of effort.
    I know that she 'zones out' an awful lot and withdraws into her own little world. I'm just very worried about her being 'labelled' so early on.
    Anybody have any similar experiences of words of advice/comfort?!
    DD
    x

2. I have no similar experiences, having never had children, and teaching in secondary schooll..... but, I'm sorry...this sounds ridiculous! You have said that she's bright and articulate....... How much concentration are five year olds expected to have?! I think that there is far too much 'labelling' of children... you are her parents, and I'm sure if there were any 'problems', they would have come to your attention long before now. Advice.?.... Ignore it! Comfort?.... xx

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

4. I had a similar experience. Child not paying attenion, fidgeting etc. When I asked the child he said "well I'm on the same table a Billy."
    I thought he wasn't concentrating on what I was saying for a minute but when I asked why that meant he couldn't sit still and listen it turned out that Billy was in the habit of kicking people under the table and crawling around on the floor under the tables.

5. Hiya,
    Not had similar experiences with a child but I was often thought of as being like this when I was younger. I would often retreat into my 'own litte world' and my mum used to worry about my concentration unless I was doing something I really wanted to do like reading. Her concern was not about SEN but about me isolating myself from others. My (brilliant) Primary school teacher told her not to worry and that I would come out of my shell when I wanted to - and I did!
    Much to her horror she couldn't get me to be reserved once I'd come out!
    I wouldn't worry too much about her at this stage - especially if she is overachieveing in many areas.

6. Thanks for tall that,folks...
    I know she's still very young.....but I do know she does really 'zone out' a lot and this must be frustrating for her teacher. I have taught in reception on supply and know how the attention is hit and miss but the fact that this is alarming an experienced EY teacher worried me, obviously. My main concern, as a teacher, is as I say the labels that we hang on kids...once an SEN child, always an SEN child?!
    Could there be any particular reason why she's like this? She likes to play on her own a lot but she's ot anti-social...I just keep thinking worst case scenario...

7. What does your daughter say about these 'moments'.

8. She doesn't say much to be honest, just sort of shrugs it off. It's always been part of who she is which is why it's never bothered us before. My eldest is very needy, wanting attention and to be played with constantly but youngest is quite happy playing by herself with her toys. In fact very like me in this way. I've seen it as a bonus really as I feel that in this day and age the ability to amuse oneself with one's own imagination is a rare gift!
    I'm sure she would come out of her shell a bit more given time but we have an in depth meeting on Wednesday with the teacher so that we can see what she propses then.

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I understand your concerns about the negative impact of being labelled as SEN when she is so young and if it was me, I would definitely underplay it to your daughter but co-operate with the teacher who may want to monitor her.
    I am a terrible day dreamer. I used to often stare into space while I thinking about something completely different, still do. I always have to force myself to concentrate on things such as people speaking in meetings. If I don't do this I will drift off into some other deep thought . (by deep, I don't mean 'deep', just absorbed'
    It isn't necessarily a sign of a 'SEN' but might be worth keeping an eye on, just in case it does impact on her studies at any point.
    I think lack of concentration when someone is speaking, especially if what they are saying isn't that interesting is pretty common.
    It can also be indicative of other SEN difficulties so that might be why the teacher is concerned.
    I'd say monitor but don't worry too much as she is still very young. She sounds just fine to me.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Try not to be defensive on Wednesday although you'll probably want to be with every bone in your body. You are hard wired to "stick up for " your daughter and you might not want to think there is a problem but it's possible that there is. Whether there is or not, you've got to be impressed the teacher is giving this much thought to your daughters needs. Hope all goes well[​IMG]

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

There's no level for effort in the EYE FSP assessments. Disposition and Attitudes yes, but that is not about effort really, no.
    Well being and involvement scales are more helpful here. If your child does not show good well being and involvement then
    it is up to the teacher to do things to help.
    Aye that it is.
    Telling parents that their child cannot concentrate is wrong. Parent partnership out of the window there......................
    asking what will inspire the child - yes, way to go.

12. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

"Apparently I have an SEN child . . ."
    Talk about stapling a label onto her forehead!
    How about "Apparently I have a child with SEN"?
    If your child does have additional needs, then having them recognised and support put in place as soon as possible is an enormous boon.
    Treat this as a positive.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My niece is now 10 and is a very bright child who has just passed her 11+. At the age of 5 she regularly used to zone out and it used to take ages to get her to finish anything. As she has grown older and more used to the expectations in school she has pretty much grown out of it.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Some of my Primary school and early Grammar school reports mentioned my daydreaming. I was actually still listening to the teacher but staring out of the window or at a fixed point in the classroom in a bid to maintain control of bladder or bowels!
    At one Primary school in the 1950s (when I was just 5yrs old) we had to ask for a toilet roll to take to the outside loo if we needed a No2 . The first time I asked, the rest of the class sniggered and I never dared ask again, resulting in a constipation issue for years.
    At Grammar school we were not allowed to leave the room in lesson time and I dreaded being asked a question when I was bursting for the toilet as we had to stand up to answer and minimum movement was of the essence! I'd thus avoid eye contact with the teacher and appear to be disengaged at times. I was the first to put my hand up if a message needed to be sent or books collected from another room as that meant the opportunity to nip into the toilets, which were never locked.

15. You could also consider the other option that your daughter is very bright and possible very bored and disengaged-----there is little scope now in the early years and primary curriculums for inspirational teachers to enthuse our little ones aboout what really interests and inspires them. Heaven help the teacher now if they should abandon lessons if we have snow to do lots of work about snow and snowflakes etc-so different from when I qualified as an Early Years teacher 20 years ago.
    Last year (in my capacity as outreach teacher) I came across a statemented pupil in Y3 in an EBD school, who turned out to have ability scores (assessed by the EdPsych at end of Y2) that placed him in the top 1% of the population. He could read about 11 of the reception high frequency words at the time.
    The red herring for the situation was that there was social services involvement (relating to possible phys abuse which turned out to be unfounded) and his behaviour and anger management issues were thought to be related to home situation (including 2 weeks away from home in care!).
    After working with him for a couple of weeks it was obvious that he was a charming young man with a fabulous sense of humour and an amazing memory; so when I asked him what he could remember about his primary school and the lessons there and he told me that he was bored rigid!
    Here comes the rant-see Mr Gove and all those previous education ministers who think they know all about whats best for the children we teach because they went to school once-our 'one size fits all' literacy and numeracy hours and the rest of the tedious curriculum they insist we 'deliver' do NOT fit every pupil (as well as being loathed by teachers who remember the good old days!)

16. Had exactly this problem with my son and his teachers (there have been two of them). Son had been pleading to be moved to the front of the class to get away from the numpties who were stealing his pens, kicking him, flicking him, tearing his exercise book, etc. - and son was the one who ended up in trouble as he was telling them to stop and teacher said he wasn't listening (my son is no angel, but he isn't a devil either).
    It took a lot of discussion with said teachers to sort it all - one of whom suggested he was SEN.
    I could have knocked her head off.
    OP - your daughter could be having similiar experiences - or maybe she is just so bright that she is bored!
    I wouldn't label her as SEN so soon - if she is SEN, then it is not the end of the world. Many of those labeled with SEN, in my opinion, are just bored with the rigidity or pace of lessons as they are so bright - many do have genuine problems and need support.
    But from what your teacher has said - that is not a SEN diagnosis and imo, fairly irresponsible of the teacher to just bandy the word around!

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Nothing to do with the OP but, course you can still do this! Working from children's interests in Early years is as essential now as it was when I qualified as an Early years teacher 26 years ago.